Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Drivin in the snow questions

788 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Missthebus 
#1 ·
What do I need to know if I want to drive up to tahoe in the snow?

I've never driven in the snow before. My service advisor just says leave the traction control on and you're all set. With all the people I see sliding around it still has me worried about ice and snow.

Thanks in advance [:)]

#2 ·
Bad weather driving is actually fun for me.

I grew up driving VWs and mustangs to the local ski resorts every day school was cancelled. Recently, I put my '98 ML320 through the paces getting used to it in the snow and on ice (local parking lot).

If you have the chance to get used tot he vehicle in a slide in a "safe" environment, please do so. Other wise don't forget that nothing does well on ice. Snow is easy as long as you plan your turns, don't go too deep and stretch your stopping distances twice what you think they would be.

The ML is great in the white stuff. You can actually power through sliding turns and it grips pretty well. Have Fun ! Say Hi to Gun Barrel At Heavely for me. It's been a few years since I've seen her.

#4 ·
Best thing is to take it slow

Especially around turns and leave a lot of stopping distance. Ratso's right, if you can find a snow-covered empty parking lot it's a good place to practice. On straight stretches of empty road I also put the brakes on until the wheels lock to spot test the road, but I'd practice pulling out of skids first.

Remember that spinning tires are not your friend. If your wheels start spinning, back off the gas and slowly try again. If you get really stuck going up a hill, try turning off ESP and putting low range on. Keep it on whenever you're driving at any reasonable speed.

#6 ·
Always both

You should put snow chains under the drive wheels - all four in our case. They'll give you better traction but if you need them, you shouldn't be driving there unless you've been driving in the snow before [;)]. Personally I've never used them.

#7 ·
Driving in the snow

The CHP will close the road before they require 4X4 to put chains on, however they will require that you carry them (just in case you got stuck later).

My 2002 ML320 with Dunlop SP5000 handles surprising well when I was up there during Xmas. It refuses to slide even when I intentionally trying to get it to go sideway (trying to get the feel of the truck; parking lot cover with ice). Don't turn off ESP.
Take it easy, don't slam the brake and it'll be fine.

missthebus

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.