Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Engine cutting out

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  JimB 
#1 ·
Great forum - thanks for all the great info!

My 01 ML430 has an intermittent problem "cutting out" on warm days. I have to feather the gas pedal to keep the car's rpms from going down to idle. If I shift to neutral, the engine has no problem reving up. But when driving for an hour with lots of stop and go and in 90 deg weather, I'll be cruising along when the engine just starts to cut out - like someone is just shutting off the fuel pump. Very strange.

Anyone on the forum ever experience this? I tried to do a search, but I'm not sure what to try. Fuel injection? Fuel filter?

#2 ·
I haven't read any complaint about your experience not until now...

we heard just died or won't start, since your 430 is still under warranty, a trip to the dealer can save you a headache, before it get worse[:)][;)]

#3 ·
hmmm

I would've searched for "fuel injection"/"fuel filter" too since that would be one obvious suspect to look into. I suspect 1) Bad gas or 2) Dirty MAF also.

I'm with JimB though, you have a model year 01 and still probably under warranty. Make a service appointment soon.

#4 ·
Car has 53K mileage - not under warranty.

Car went to dealer while still under warran...

Car has 53K mileage - not under warranty.

Car went to dealer while still under warranty and they "found no codes" - that seems to be all they look for!

#5 ·
bucking?

Was there any bucking when it wanted to stall? It happened to me a few times as well. Ditto Rodney Grill on the M-Class Mailing List.

Rodney actually had an error code stored. Mine did not. Seems to happen w/ humidity and hot weather and the A/C...I think it's related to a weak battery, but Rodney doesn't think so...

ken

#6 ·
Yes - as a matter of fact there was a lot of bucking. Also, at the top of along grade I ...

Yes - as a matter of fact there was a lot of bucking. Also, at the top of along grade I wasn't sure if I'd make it. But if i put it in neutral, it revs up fine, and even when it's in drive and having the problem it still idles fine.

Seems to begin when air is on, but continues even if air is off.

I too thought it might be related to low battery, and the batt eventually died and replaced with oem batt, but problem persists.

#9 ·
or ot could be just plain dirty air filter...who knows:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.