Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Valentine Hard Wire install - Anyone done it?

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  grey_m 
#1 ·
I am looking to hardwire my V1 into my ML, looking for anyone who's done this already. Where did you tap into the 12v wire? Sunroof? Front domelights?

I'm kinda afraid to tap the power to the trip computer....

Any advice is most appreciated.

Ian

#3 ·
That's where I tapped

I did it closer to the fuse in the passenger footwell (hot pink wire, IIRC). But I wanted to use the remote display so I had to run between the V1 install by the rear view mirror and the remote display by the gearshift anyway. Just be careful running the wire down the A pillar so you don't interfere with the airbag.

#4 ·
Re: That's where I tapped

I did it closer to the fuse in the passenger footwell (hot pink wire, IIRC). But I wanted to use the remote display so I had to run between the V1 install by the rear view mirror and the remote display by the gearshift anyway. Just be careful running the wire down the A pillar so you don't interfere with the airbag.
Did it just this way - Mounted the unit high next to the rearview on the passenger side, then ran the RJ-11 wire down the A-pillar underneath the black molding. From there, yanked out the passenger footwell compartment, and tapped inbehind the accessory plug. Works, looks awesome.

#5 ·
How about pulling power from the rear view mirror?

Now, how do you get that thing apart? Its a great power source, switched with ignition. Would be great to put in a small jack so that you could pull the detector and the small cord and leave a clean install. For what I have paid in attorney fees I could by a Valentine and have plenty left over.

#6 ·
I mounted mine . . .

. . . to the left of the interior mirror and ran the power cord past the mirror and down the right side "A" pillar into the aux fusebox in the passenger side footwell. If you have a flat metal shimming tool or a narrow bladed putty knife, you can ease the roof trim and pillar trim away from the windshield and the cord pops right in behind the material.

There's a switched hot you can tap into right there in the aux fusebox (don't remember offhand which one it was - just put a meter on it and you'll know.

#7 ·
Remote Display

Anyone mount their remote display in an unual way?

I am thinking something like this but still contemplating the best spot.

http://www.xse.com/leres/ss/images/v1remote-sm.html

I actually have one of the near original V1s (first models with laser) and am sending to Valentine Research today for the upgrade.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.