Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Side steps for '02 ML500 with sport package

3K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  aeltohamy 
#1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I found some side steps from this website
http://www.gogrilleguards.com/detail.asp?product_id=MNK656554TSP-P&GID=

The product description says it's made by Manik.
I also found the same products from
http://www.performanceproducts.com/ProductPage.aspx?productname=Manik+Side+Steps&productid=103957&producttype=20

The performance products web site says it won't
fit sport package, when I call Manik and
gogrilleguards they both told me it fits sport
package.

Does anyone have any experiences with these
products ? Do they fit sport package ?

Thanks,
Russell

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't see why they won't fit. The only area for interference would be with the

fender flares. But we know that people on this board (UniquelySanFrancisco, fort example) with ML500 and fender flares have installed Manik side steps. It'll fit.

#4 ·
Re: I don't see why they won't fit. The only area for interference would be with the

fender flares. But we know that people on this board (UniquelySanFrancisco, fort example) with ML500 and fender flares have installed Manik side steps. It'll fit.
Side panels and door shape is different with sport package, in addition to fender flares. Slightly tapered. May not fit. Get money back guarrantee.

#5 ·
They won't work...

Unfortunately, the ML55s and the Sport Pkg MLs have side skirts which cover the rocker panel sills. As such, unless these skirts are removed (I'm not sure if it's painted underneath), sidesteps or running boards cannot be installed. [8)]

#6 ·
Cancelled the order

When I called PP, the sales person gauranteed they will fit, but I trust people here. I cancelled the
order before they even process it.

Now, where can I get either the side steps or running
boards to fit sport package? Many thanks.

Russell

#7 ·
Re: They won't work...

Unfortunately, the ML55s and the Sport Pkg MLs have side skirts which cover the rocker panel sills. As such, unless these skirts are removed (I'm not sure if it's painted underneath), sidesteps or running boards cannot be installed. [8)]
Well that is not entirely true, I have seen sports package with side step don't know what the brand is but the do fit very close to the side skirt. The space between body and the step is less

#8 ·
Yes it's true...

Well that is not entirely true, I have seen sports package with side step don't know what the brand is but the do fit very close to the side skirt. The space between body and the step is less
The sideskirts have to be removed as they are lower down and will block the side steps from being installed. You even have to remove a small port in the sideskirt in order to use the vehicle jack. [8)]

#12 ·
Manik step bars do fit but OEM's do not.

I can say so confidently because I have Manik stainless steel step bars installed on my 2002 ML500 with the Sports package.
Unlike the OEM's, the Manik's design does not curve down and go under the rocker panels and leave a relatively wide gap between the side skirts and the bars.
The bars are easier to step on because of their distance away from the body and the side skirts are much easier to wash as a result. I can relate to that because I used to have OEM bars on my MY98 ML320.
The downside of the design is that some may take execeptions to the "wide-gap" look.

#15 ·
RE: Conclusion

new guy here [:)] ...i've done searches high and low regarding this very topic but only benzworld users could answer intelligently.

now the only thing i'm still missing is pictures! i've heard a lot of people say side bars can be installed with the sport package, but haven't seen any pictures yet with them installed.

well, i've bought some Manik side bars and front grille and if i'm able to installed them this weekend, hopefully i'll be the first to post some pictures.

for now, here's a picture of a ML320 w/sport package before side bars and front grille

Attachments

#16 ·
RE: Conclusion

Very nice ride, sfml320, and welcome[:)][;)]

Black Opal right?

It took almost a year before someone reponse to the last post, did you have some fun searching? SFML320?[:D][;)]

#17 ·
I installed the newer version of the OEM sidesteps on my ML500. In the box were 4 extra plates that I did not need to use in the install.

I asked the dealer what the extra spacer plates were for, and the SA claimed that you use them on the ML 55 to mount the side steps.

Not sure if he was correct or not. I've seen a couple of ML 55's here with the OEM sidesteps, but not sure what can of mods they needed to do to make them fit.

#18 ·
The extra plates are used on the sides of the bracket to prevent it from rattling. See the WIS for exact install instruction.

#19 ·
Here my ML with the Manik side steps
I knew I need to wash the truck

#21 ·
aeltohamy - 12/14/2003 6:30 PM

Here my ML with the Manik side steps
I knew I need to wash the truck
Thanks aeltohamy! I knew someone would have Maniks installed.

I'm trying to install them right now, but it seems I have the wrong attachment plates.

The instruction diagram show that each plate should have (4) holes, two for the side bars to bolt on to and two to attach (2) bolts to the frame of the car. Well all (4) of plates only have (3) holes. I doubt one bolt can support all that weight on each end.

aeltohamy, can you check to see if your have (4) bolts. I'm pretty sure yours does.

Thanks...

#22 ·
Yes, I do have four holes on each plate, two for the sidebars and two for the frame.
It took me about an hour to install them, it is very tied installing the rear supporting plate.

Aiman

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.