brake dust solutions?

1K views 11 replies 0 participants last post by  Peter-San Francisco 
G
#1 ·
Obviously, the MB brake pads make a mess on the wheels and a pain to clean.<br>
<br>
I am looking for solutions to the problem and suggestions.<br>
some ideas:<br>
1. replace MB original pads with some other pads that do not make mess but do not sacrafice brake performance (distance and fade)<br>
2. after market inner-wheel cover to prevent dust from coming out onto wheel.<br>
<br>
look forward to the discussion especially if anyone has experience with either.<br>
guy <p>ip66-35-226-228.altera.com

G
#3 ·
Absolutely not #2...

You'll end up with rotor warpage since there is less air going to them.<br> <br> Actually, I was just looking at the Porterfield brake pads the other day (at myroadster.net - via the banner) and they looked pretty good! Price is competitive, and the specs look very good. Better than the couple of others that are available for the ML. The big question is whether they allow the brake pad wear sensors to be used.<br> <br> The wheels are not a pain to clean. You just have to clean them more often if you want them to look nice. Once a week, for example. I've heard good things about the RainX wheel cleaner which is supposed to help to repel some of the dust. Waxing the wheels also helps quite a bit.<p>h24-76-41-118.vf.shawcable.net

G
#6 ·
Re: Hi Peter, what model year is your ML? (more)

2001 ML320 and the sensor was for the front only... the back did not have it....<br> <br> The are great!!! I got them from myroadster.net... Jerry will take care of you...<p>

G
#9 ·
can you mix Porterfield with OEM?

Why does it appear that only the front pads emit the brake dust onto the wheels compared to the rear?<br> <br> Since the only reason for me to change pads would be to reduce brake dust, can I keep my rear original pads?<br> <br> How do the Porterfields compare to original for stopping distance?<br> fade?<br> total number of miles between changes?<br> <br> guy <p>ip66-35-226-228.altera.com

G
#10 ·
Re: can you mix Porterfield with OEM?

Yes, you should be able to mix them without any problems. Just use them on the same axle though (i.e. fronts or backs).<br> <br> The front brakes on ALL vehicles emit more brake dust because, 1) they are larger than the rear brakes, 2) the front brakes are larger because they do up to 3/4 of the work when braking, hence a lot more brake dust. When you brake when going forward, the weight transfers to the front of the vehicle.<br> <br> No idea how long the Porterfield pads last, but they do appear to be equal if not better to the already excellent OEM pads as far as performance goes. However, they supposedly have up to 98% less brake dust (the German TUV specifies a high carbon content, which is why most German cars' wheels get dirty quickier; high carbon content/softer pads work well in high speed braking, and are easier on the rotors).<p>h24-76-41-118.vf.shawcable.net

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.