Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

ML55 in snow? SP9000 in snow? snow tires?

6K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  UniquelySanFrancisco 
#1 ·
Has anybody driven the ML55 in the snow with the stock tires, SP9000? Is it suited for Ithaca weather (which is intense snow and ice)? I was thinking maybe some Eagle Ultra Grip Tires.

Any recommendation on snow tires?

#2 ·
SP9000s will turn into hockey pucks in poor weather, they are meant for summer condition...

SP9000s will turn into hockey pucks in poor weather, they are meant for summer conditions. Get a set of Dunlop Wintersport M2 tires.

#3 ·
Snow Tires

I don't know if Nokian makes 18" tires. But if they do, their "Hakka 1's" seem pretty good. I'm using a set of 17" now (see below). We finally got our first real snow this week. The roads are covered with a mix of ice and snow and the Nokians are performing nicely.

#4 ·
Snow tires

In the NYC area I'd recommend Dunlop WinterSport M2's mounted on narrower rims. I've got them on some 2002 ML320 rims now and they work great.

#5 ·
Its not worth

Has anybody driven the ML55 in the snow with the stock tires, SP9000? Is it suited for Ithaca weather (which is intense snow and ice)? I was thinking maybe some Eagle Ultra Grip Tires.

Any recommendation on snow tires?
taking chances, definitely equip your ML with snow tires (or winter tires) for optimum performance under snow/winter driving conditions.

I'd recommend Dunlop Wintersport M2's as well.

#6 ·
uh oh, I'm going to Lake Tahoe this weekend

Heavy storm coming up there, will my Dunlop SP5000's do?

#7 ·
Well

What kind of storm? snow storm? winter storm? I heard you guys are getting a lot of rain. In that case, your dunlops should be fine. But otherwise, the high-performance dunlops won't be as high-performance when at temp drops to 39 deg. or below. In that case, you should equip your ML with winter tires for optimal 4-ETS, ABS, EBP, ESP performance :)

#9 ·
SP9000s aren't any good in more than 1/2"

I just bought a set of 2001 ML430 17" rims from the MB dealer for $218 a piece (you can find them cheaper on ebay from time to time), and Dunlop Wintersport M2s - 255/60-17. The whole setup was $1600 with tax and installation. Now I can swap wheels in the spring and fall. The other option is to get a set of Wintersports to fit the stock 18" AMG rims. I think they make 255/55-18s (or something like that). The difference in tire diameter is too small to affect speedo accuracy much. The cost of the 18" tires is about $100 more per tire, so it wasn't that much more to get the new rims and 17" tires when you count the twice-yearly cost of mounting and balancing with the 18" tires (about $40 each for the 18s).

#10 ·
What kind of storm? Heavy Snow--Several Feet

What kind of storm? snow storm? winter storm? I heard you guys are getting a lot of rain. In that case, your dunlops should be fine. But otherwise, the high-performance dunlops won't be as high-performance when at temp drops to 39 deg. or below. In that case, you should equip your ML with winter tires for optimal 4-ETS, ABS, EBP, ESP performance :)
Since the storms started last week, some of the ski resorts (Kirkwood) have received 72-112 inches of snow, with 30-36 inches in the past 24 hours. We will probably receive several more feet of snow this weekend.

Usually, rain on the coast means snow in the Sierra Nevada above 5,000 feet. Our snow tends to have a higher water content than in the Rockies, but we do not get a lot of ice on the roads as in the northeast. CalTrans does a good job of clearing and sanding the main roads and they close them down if conditions get really bad (R3 - chains on all vehicles).

#11 ·
What kind of storm? Heavy Snow--Several Feet

Since the storms started last week, some of the ski resorts (Kirkwood) have received 72-112 inches of snow, with 30-36 inches in the past 24 hours. We will probably receive several more feet of snow this weekend.

Usually, rain on the coast means snow in the Sierra Nevada above 5,000 feet. Our snow tends to have a higher water content than in the Rockies, but we do not get a lot of ice on the roads as in the northeast. CalTrans does a good job of clearing and sanding the main roads and they close them down if conditions get really bad (R3 - chains on all vehicles).

#12 ·
Has anybody driven the ML55 in the snow with the stock tires, SP9000? Is it suited for Ithaca weather (which is intense snow and ice)?
They arae suited for winter only if you want to test the safety cell of the truck.

I also recommend Dunlop Winter Sport M2.

Unfortunately, I have only had a chance to test them with black ice because it refuses to snow here, it has been raining for a week. Snow this weekend though!

Also, check out the www.tirerack.com recommendation for your truck
http://www.tirerack.com/snow/SnowSelectWheelSize.jsp?autoMake=Mercedes-Benz&autoModel=ML55&autoYear=2000

#13 ·
Re: Re: ML55 in snow? SP9000 in snow? snow tires?

[Also, check out the www.tirerack.com recommendation for your truck
http://www.tirerack.com/snow/SnowSelectWheelSize.jsp?autoMake=Mercedes-Benz&autoModel=ML55&autoYear=2000
Tirerack recommmends Michelin Pilot Alpin H-rated winters on 17x8 rims in a 235/65R17 size for the 2000-2002 ML55.

However, it recommends Dunlop Winter Sport M2 H-rated winters on 17x8 rims in a 255/60R17 size for the 2002 ML320.

That is ridiculous because the overall diameter is almost identical, plus the ML55 gets a skinnier tires??? I would go with the Dunlops, and I did.

#15 ·
Re: Back to Mandu's question...would the Dunlop SP5000 do well in snow?

Back to Mandu's question...would the Dunlop SP5000 do well in snow?
They will be better than the SP9000, but they are still a sport-all-season tire.

They will probably work fine for a bit of snow every once in a while, but for prolonged snow use, like living at Tahoe, you would want winters.

I have winters and it doesn't even snow that much here. I bought them more for the black ice.

#17 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.