how to set the garage door opener?? - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2002, 02:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2002
how to set the garage door opener??

Hi!
does anyone know how to set the garage dor opener? and anyone know how to take the steeling wheel out? cause i am trying to change it to wood and leather steeling wheel, so i need to know how to take it out and replace the OEM airbag. thank you.[:)]
melvintm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2002, 03:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Vehicle: 2002 ML320
Garage Door Opener is a pain in the ass!

For some reason, I can't program mine!
Old 09-28-2002, 06:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Garage

Is it a standard garage remote or does it uses security schemes such as 'rotating code'? I was able to get the standard remote programed quite easily. As for the secured types, that's a whole new can of worms.

jklny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002, 09:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2002
Garage door opener

The ML's garage door opener can handle almost any type of opener. Almost all new garage openers are the code-changing type, and the ML can work with them. I've personally programmed a couple ML's to work with these types of openers - it's very easy.

Look it up in the owner's manual, or call MBUSA for help (even though it's like 30min wait time) or if you don't even want to do that, here are the instructions for the code-changing type:

Assuming you want to use the center button to open your garage, press the outer 2 buttons until they start blinking really fast. If I remember correctly, you then immediately press the center button and the garage door opener remote simultaneously, with the remote being about 2-5 inches away from the ML's remote panel. Then when there is a change of rate in the little indicator, let go of the buttons.

THE NEXT PROCEDURE IS THE KEY PART THAT MOST PEOPLE FORGET TO DO, and I think that MB accidentally left it out in the owner's manual:

Then go to the actual garage door opener and find the 'learn function.' This is usually either a button somewhere or a black cord or something to that effect - if you can't find it, look it up in the door opener's manual.

Then see if you correctly programmed it. Remember - when you want the garage to open, you have to PRESS the button, not just tap. I mean that you have to keep it there for like 1-2 seconds sometimes.

If it doesn't work, re-do the procedure.

Hope this helps.

Family Cars:
'02 Mercedes ML320
'97 Toyota Previa LE/SC Alltrac
Sold:
'91 Mercedes 300E
'91 Toyota Previa DX Alltrac
'94 Toyota Previa LE/SC Alltrac
mbakshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002, 09:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

On page 160 of the 2002 owners manual are the instructions for the Rolling code programm...

On page 160 of the 2002 owners manual are the instructions for the Rolling code programming. In case it is not in other manuals here it is:

Rolling code programming:

To train a grage door opener (or other rolling code devices) with the rolling code feature, follow these instructions after completing the "Programming" portion of this text. (A second person may make the rolling training procedures quicker and easier.)

1. Locate training button on the garage door opener motor head unit. Exact location and color of the button may vary by garage door opener brand. If there is diffuculty locating the transmitting button, reference to garage door opener operator's manual.

2. Press "training" button on the garage door opener motor head unit (which activates the "training light").

Note:

Following step 2, there are 30 seconds to initiate step 3.

Firmly press and release the programmed integrated remote control transmit button. Press and release same button a second time to complete the training process. (Some garage door openers may require you to do this procedure a third time to complete the training.)

4. Confirm the garage door operation by pressing the programmed button on the integrated remote control transmitter.

Canadian programming was different.

I used this and was able to program the opener the first time. I was never able to program my SLK and was surprised when the salesman told me that it could be done!
TomR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002, 09:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Re:

Well I haven't had time to read my '02 manual, but the older manuals, as well as the MBUSA phone line for programming instructions, says the procedure I posted.

I'm sure it's the exact same thing - shouldn't make a difference if you press the learn button before or after, but I have used the learn after programming the ML and it has always worked on the first try. I have done this on a couple '01s and my '02.
mbakshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002, 12:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Thank you guys, i will try it today and see if that will work. thanks....

Thank you guys, i will try it today and see if that will work. thanks.
melvintm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 07:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 05 500
Re: Re:

Quote:
Well I haven't had time to read my '02 manual, but the older manuals, as well as the MBUSA phone line for programming instructions, says the procedure I posted.

I'm sure it's the exact same thing - shouldn't make a difference if you press the learn button before or after, but I have used the learn after programming the ML and it has always worked on the first try. I have done this on a couple '01s and my '02.
The important think is to make sure the sequence of blinking lights changes. It takes some time (2-3 minutes, i think) for this to occur and one may give up thinking nothing is happening.

Darkmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 07:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2002
Vehicle: 2014 ML350 BlueTec
l tried and tried...

Guys..l have a 99 430...and l have tried for months to get this stupid garage door thing to work...to no avail...l have the rolling code system...so there lies the problem....any tricks for the 99 430 would be greatly appreciated...l've looked at my manual a thousand times..still no luck....help needed....[V][V]
2006 : Cubanite Silver ML 350 : 60,000 KM (traded-in)
2010 : Tenorite Grey ML 350 : 20,000 KM (traded-in)
2011 : Chromite Black Grand Edition ML 550 (traded-in)
2014 : Palladium Silver ML 350 BlueTec
C-Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 07:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
MBM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2002
Vehicle: ML430
Re: l tried and tried...

Quote:

Guys..l have a 99 430...and l have tried for months to get this stupid garage door thing to work...to no avail...l have the rolling code system...so there lies the problem....any tricks for the 99 430 would be greatly appreciated...l've looked at my manual a thousand times..still no luck....help needed....[V][V]
I am having the same problem
[:(]
MBM is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class