Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Momory Seat Puzzle.

980 views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  mihir 
#1 ·
Yesterday afternoon I decided to take a nap in the ML while my wife was shopping. I reclined the driver's seat back rest as far back as it would rotate without resting on the rear bench. The I had to get the seat back up. I tried manually then remembered that I had my seating position in memory. I hit the memory button and about half way up, the thing just quit. It wouldn't recall memory 'till I set the ignition to "ON" position. Anyone experienced this? What I don't recall is wether or not it quit just as my wife was opening the passenger side door. But I know for sure that when the doors were closed again, it still wouldn't respond. That's when I decided to "reboot" I haven't had the chance to try it again.

#2 ·
Yup, it won't...

But I know for sure that when the doors were closed again, it still wouldn't respond. That's when I decided to "reboot" I haven't had the chance to try it again.
You do need to turn the key to just before the start position again to get the retained power accessory back. Once the doors are opened, this is deactivated for safety reasons.

#3 ·
My guess is that you hit the timeout period

The car will turn off certain things after a period of time (could I have been more vague in that sentence?). I think if you leave an interior light on for half an hour it will turn off. It's possible that the seat adjustments work the same way and you just hit the timeout period in mid-move. Have they worked without the key after the incident?

#4 ·
I think Drew just answered my question. Anyway, there is no timeout period for the

seats. The only limitation that I know of is that to adjust the drivers side seats, you have to open the driver's side door. You don't need the key in the ignition, and that all makes logical sense. I think what happened is that as soon as the door was opened, the function shut off.

#5 ·
Thanks Drew, opening the door cut that function off - I can buy that. Now, here's one who's logic

still perplexes me. The rain sensing wipers won't operate with vehicle not moving and driver's door open, but the "quick wipe" feature (that's what I call it - when you push the wiper stalk up for a quick wipe!!!) will operate, regardless of door position. That doesn't seem to be too logical to me. is this the way it's supposed to work?

#6 ·
There is a time-out...

seats. The only limitation that I know of is that to adjust the drivers side seats, you have to open the driver's side door. You don't need the key in the ignition, and that all makes logical sense. I think what happened is that as soon as the door was opened, the function shut off.
You need to have one of the front doors open to operate the front seats. You were able to operate them without the key and the door closed because of the retained power accessory feature (which shuts off after 30 seconds, I think).

#7 ·
I don't think there's a timeout for the seats though. It'll defeat the purpose.

or, it the time out for a particular position? That is, it'll allow different memory positions to operate overnight, for example, but would not allow me to tinker with a particular position for more that 1/2 hour, as long as a door is not opened (probably not affected by rear doors). I'll like to know the complete logic.

#8 ·
No no...

or, it the time out for a particular position? That is, it'll allow different memory positions to operate overnight, for example, but would not allow me to tinker with a particular position for more that 1/2 hour, as long as a door is not opened (probably not affected by rear doors). I'll like to know the complete logic.
You misunderstood. The timeout is for the retained power feature. For the '02s, it is different than the pre-'02's memory feature since the mirrors are now tied into the control as well. Therefore I'm pretty sure you need to have the key in for that (or have the power retained accessory feature still active).

#9 ·
That's easy...

The rain sensing wipers won't operate with vehicle not moving and driver's door open
The rain sensing wipers work when the infrared beam is broken by water on the glass. If you dump a lot of water on the windshield while the vehicle is stationary, they will move. They won't turn on when the driver's door is open so that you won't get wet!!

The 2nd and 3rd stalk positions defeat the rain sense feature and forces the wipers to turn on regardless.

#10 ·
Got it. If you want to get wet, set wiper in other position, the open door.

But as long as I'm sensing raindrops baby, I'll shut off if you open the door 'cause I don't want to be blamed for getting you set. Good logic!!! And thanks for the link to the dead pedal thing.

#11 ·
Just tried it

Since I'm in the garage anyway thanks to a wireless LAN I gave it a shot. I couldn't change seat position (I was sitting in the passenger seat) until I turned the key to position II (just before ignition). I could change the seat position for longer than thirty seconds after the car was stopped (I don't want to wait half an hour) but I wasn't able to change the seat position after the passenger door was opened and then closed. You learn something new every day[:)].

#12 ·
My skyview roof one touch open feature behaves the same way...

I lose control of the roof opening and closing as soon any of the front doors is opened/closed in the middle of its sliding.

It takes turning of the ignition key to regain control of the roof.

I guess there is some similar logic at play here...safety reasons

#14 ·
Careful here. I believe most of the timed (30 minutes) safety features self deactivate

with only the front doors. I'm not sure which functions work with which set of doors. Take some time to check them out.

#15 ·

I lose control of the roof opening and closing as soon any of the front doors is opened/closed in the middle of its sliding.

#16 ·

#18 ·
You can fix this...

What you have to do is generate a unique "transaction key". You may be able to do this by creating a lock file, otherwise you can cheat by using the username, date, time, originating IP address, and whatever you want, and then tacking on a random number. Once you have this key, you pass it to the user when you send the message editor. The user passes it back to the server when they send the message. Before the server posts the message, it does a search for messages with that transaction key. You can even do nifty things like make a historical database for messages over a week old (updated nightly or weekly) so the search times are shorter.

I'd had a lot of experience lately with generating HTTP-based database front ends, so I'd be happy to lend you my services as a pseudo-coder (or anything else for that matter) in payment for all the help you've given me.

#19 ·
I am an avid HTTP programmer too by the way...

I too thought on similar lines. There are 100s of ways of avoid such a trivial HTTP problem...Drew, if you need help..feel free to give me a hollar. I will be more than willing to not only help about, also share some server side code or program that might help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.