Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

'03 DVD navigation pricing...

2K views 33 replies 13 participants last post by  Tommy 
#1 ·
FYI, MBUSA lists the price as US$1690:

See this link: <a href="http://www.mbusa.com/brand/container.jsp?/models/features/accessories/index.jsp&accClassCode=ML&modelCode=ml_class_main&class=03_ML&menu=3_2">Click here</a>

#6 ·
But my CD-ROM based Nav system only goes up to 125 mph!!! :)-P

#7 ·
Elmer, our trucks could almost be clones [;)]

Yours:

Desert Silver, Java, Tiptronic, M1, M5, Sunroof, B*se, CD, NAV, Timeport, Heated seats, Type I guard, PIAA 959 Ion Fogs, Hitch, Cargo tray, catch-all mats, 2002 Bi-Xenon headlights, LED strip CHMSL, Mudflaps, Sunroof Wind Deflector, Rear Rhino Step Bar, MB Laurel wheel center caps, Burlwood cupholder, LED stop - turn - & tailight bulbs
Mine:

Desert Silver, Java, Tiptronic, +27 HP Carlsson powerchip, M1, M5, Sunroof, B*se, 2002 sail panel tweeters, CD, NAV (Comand), cargo/passenger separation, Heated seats, Hella FF50 Fogs, Removable Hitch, 2002 Bi-Xenon headlights, MB Laurel wheel center caps, LED-modified stock CHMSL, LED stop - turn - & tailight bulbs, scratched left front fender and keyed left rear door [:(]

Cheers,
Birger

#8 ·
Parts to convert CD based nav? Nav for sale?

Can we upgrade the older CD navs without buying the whole kit?

If not, anyone want to buy my nav? Installation included COD Houston, airfare additional. Will bring tools. Takes an hour, will do in airport parking lot.[:D]

#9 ·
Craig...

Can we upgrade the older CD navs without buying the whole kit?

If not, anyone want to buy my nav? Installation included COD Houston, airfare additional. Will bring tools. Takes an hour, will do in airport parking lot.[:D]
I'm trying to find out whether it is compatible with the pre-'02 MCS's. Keep your fingers crossed. I'll let everyone know as soon as I find out anything. I actually wouldn't mind the CD based system myself since all of Canada is only on one map CD anyway.

#11 ·
DVD Downside

From what I have been told there is a downside to the new DVD nav as compared to the CD ROM. That is that on the DVD's there is a lot less ifo as so far as points of interest, hotels, etc. In addition I was told that many of the secondary roads shown on the CD's do not appear on the DVD's.

#12 ·
Birger - I'll pass on the fender and door upgrades, though . . .

. . . thanks all the same. Wouldn't mind the power chip upgrade, though. We use an ethanol blend 93 octane low emission fuel here (no MTBE in Wisconsin) and the result is that because the fuel is "oxygenated", engines effectively are de-tuned by about 3 to 4% and lose fuel efficiency. Best I get is about 19.5 mpg.

Post some pics in your gallery. Mine are there.

Regards,
Elmer

Yours:

Desert Silver, Java, Tiptronic, M1, M5, Sunroof, B*se, CD, NAV, Timeport, Heated seats, Type I guard, PIAA 959 Ion Fogs, Hitch, Cargo tray, catch-all mats, 2002 Bi-Xenon headlights, LED strip CHMSL, Mudflaps, Sunroof Wind Deflector, Rear Rhino Step Bar, MB Laurel wheel center caps, Burlwood cupholder, LED stop - turn - & tailight bulbs
Mine:

Desert Silver, Java, Tiptronic, +27 HP Carlsson powerchip, M1, M5, Sunroof, B*se, 2002 sail panel tweeters, CD, NAV (Comand), cargo/passenger separation, Heated seats, Hella FF50 Fogs, Removable Hitch, 2002 Bi-Xenon headlights, MB Laurel wheel center caps, LED-modified stock CHMSL, LED stop - turn - & tailight bulbs, scratched left front fender and keyed left rear door [:(]

Cheers,
Birger

#16 ·
Sosh...

From what I have been told there is a downside to the new DVD nav as compared to the CD ROM. That is that on the DVD's there is a lot less ifo as so far as points of interest, hotels, etc. In addition I was told that many of the secondary roads shown on the CD's do not appear on the DVD's.
Just curious but where did you hear that? From my information, this is incorrect. The DVD will be just as detailed as the CDs. Some manufacturers, such as Acura, do indeed limit the information on the DVD for some stupid reason much to the dismay of many owners in certain areas. However, MB won't be doing this from what I've been told.

#17 ·
I've wondered about that too since the current set is 10 CDs, not 7

And unfortunately, the NavTec coverage really needs much improvement. They will need all the room they can get.

#18 ·
Another potential problem with DVD

Unless they have made some big changes to the interface, I would not want to have to deal with some of the menus if all of NA is included. There needs to be some type of region setting so you are not getting results for restaurants and street names 3000 miles away. Since the CDs are more regionalized, you won't have to work through as much information.

#19 ·
Well typically...

Unless they have made some big changes to the interface, I would not want to have to deal with some of the menus if all of NA is included.
I think you will be asked to input the city name/state and then it filters it down from there. I would think that they would be smart enough to incorporate this into their setups, similar to the Alpine DVD systems.

#20 ·
LOL...

not that you need any assistance.

Thanks for the help on the DVD nav.
You are always welcome to visit me up here [:)]. I do know that MBUSA has a jump on MBC regarding the DVD nav system. It has been confirmed that the 2001 ML's MCS will work with the DVD system. Awaiting confirmation on the '00's MCS.

#22 ·
So, when's the group buy? :)

#25 ·
Hmm. but doesn't the NAV already know where you are?

The current system tries to start from the city you are presently in. For the most part it is okay, but there are a number of menus where the entire contents of the CD are listed. It would be much worse if the entire NA continent was displayed.

If they had a setting to only show results within say a 500 mile radius that would be great. But if the DVD unit is nothing more than condensing the present system onto one disk, then, not so great.

#26 ·
I think that...

But if the DVD unit is nothing more than condensing the present system onto one disk, then, not so great.
This was the main thing. People liked the Alpine interface, but didn't want to switch (or pay for) extra disc when traveling out of region, and this is the main strength of the DVD-based system. Therefore, I don't think that you'll get too many complaints from those who do switch afterall. [:)]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.