Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

'03 DVD navigation pricing...

2K views 33 replies 13 participants last post by  Tommy 
#1 ·
FYI, MBUSA lists the price as US$1690:

See this link: <a href="http://www.mbusa.com/brand/container.jsp?/models/features/accessories/index.jsp&accClassCode=ML&modelCode=ml_class_main&class=03_ML&menu=3_2">Click here</a>

#28 ·
DVD has lots of room - Great idea!

Although CD's can store 650M+ typical nav CD's have only about 450M. Part of that is programming data that is repeated on each disk. The DVD will have to have only one copy. The DVD can hold over 4.5G so there should be lots of room. A big question will be whether or not it will read DVD-R or DVD+R's. If it doesn’t you will have to use your master disk in the car.

Just had a great idea: potential advertisers could give away disks with locations of their stores. Hell, they could probably put in an ad while they are at it. Don't know about you folk but I'd love to have a Starbuck's locator disk. Groups of non-competing companies could do a disk together, for example; Home Depot, Office Max, MacDonald’s and the Brinker chain of restaurants (Chili's, Olive Garden etc). It would target high incomes consumers because nav is typically installed in high line vehicles. Hopefully they could use one disk and have several nav systems on it (like combination Win/Mac disks). If not double side it.

If I'm so smart why aren't I rich?

#30 ·
For an off-road vehicle...

I'd love it if they had the data found in Delorme's Topo USA, full 3D mapping plus more detailed roads than the current CD system and a pretty decent database of services - all on one DVD.

#31 ·
Great idea so I keyed in Starbucks in my DVD system and a list of the Starbucks Coffee s...

Great idea so I keyed in Starbucks in my DVD system and a list of the Starbucks Coffee shops appeared. You can list resturants as point of interests which will show up on the maps. That list is I am sure outdated (2002 version) but it would be great if we could download new locations to disk and use it in the nav system.

#32 ·
Great idea so I keyed in Starbucks in my DVD system and a list of the Starbucks Coffee s...

Great idea so I keyed in Starbucks in my DVD system and a list of the Starbucks Coffee shops appeared. You can list resturants as point of interests which will show up on the maps. That list is I am sure outdated (2002 version) but it would be great if we could download new locations to disk and use it in the nav system.

#33 ·
The Problem: NavTech - More Great Ideas!

If they only had the concept that the nav was a video device with a GPS input they could have a lot more income. Spoke to them once on the phone. Suggested that they have a subscription service to sell upgraded disks at a discount but on a continuing basis. The answer was "why should we do that? They can buy a new disk for $140". I said thank you very much and hung up on Forrest (Gump).

Other Ideas:

Although it would be a bit distracting for the driver I could see using it for video games. Since I expect it doesn't have much computing power it might be able to use Nintendo Game Boy games with suitable licensing. If it doesn't have the computing power now I expect at that level it would take much to add it. Game pad jack?

Have specific travelogs. They could be sold for specific routes (US 101, Pan Canadian, etc) listing all points of interests (with prior notice so you would be looking for them or be prepared to stop) and it could list additional information about them. They could list all restaurants (revenue opportunity for special listings), gas stations, retail stores, travel agents, park campgrounds anything a tourist would have interest.

Rally disks (could require frequent updates). Load the disk. Go to list of starting points (on screen). Pick one, go there, GPS will assist as needed. Disk will provide rally instructions such as "go north 3.2 miles and turn by the green house". If you get lost it assigns penalty points but will give you directions back to the route. Knows what time it is (product of GPS) and can watch for speeding and again assess points. Once you get to the end it give your final score. Compare with others and declare the winner!

Any other ideas?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.