Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Paint or Trash?

1K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Mike's ML 
#1 ·
2000 ML320, 141,250 miles.

Preparing for the son to use it over the last 3 years I replaced wear items including: power steering pump, water pump, fuel pump, plugs & wires, A arms and ball joints, drive shaft, alternator, crank position sensor, oil quality sensor due to intermittent warning, alternator (first one was bad and damaged stuff) new instrument cluster and throttle bodies. Cluster needs coding so I dropped it off today to get new load for cluster as it is giving a false washer fluid light and I do not have the sensor.

My son used it for 2 years at college, and I just got it back. (Drove great on the trip from CO to Southern CA.) Clear coat is peeling and I check on a decent paint job (bumpers and other stuff off for $3K). Since it was keyed I check and comprehensive covers vandalism. So, I make the claim.

Insurance company has decided to make it a total loss?!?!?! I am amazed, but I guess not totally surprised.

So, do I:
1 - buy it back for $900, paint it (total cost to me is zero out of pocket) and continue to use if for a few years.
2 - buy it back for $900, and just drive it and keep the offsetting $3,500 in my pocket.
3 - let it go and get a new Subaru Outback (the GLA would be nice, but no tow hitch).

HQ house wants me to get a new vehicle so matter how much I like the ML.

What say you?

See less See more
#6 ·
My 01 ML430 is pushing 180K miles. I keep looking at newer rigs, but end up staying with the ML. It is paid for, the repairs are nowhere near a newer cars payment, the insurance is cheap, it does everything I want it to do, It is comfortable, it pulls anything I put on the hitch, it goes anywhere off road I want to go, I can stuff a ton of stuff in it, and, oh yeah, it's paid for.

Keep it. Find a paint guy who likes working on the side. Let him do a respray on his own time. He will make a few bucks and save you a ton. (I have one that does all my work and his work is fantastic).

#8 ·
Thanks for all the input. Seems 100% on keeping it.

I am happy with the ML and it does everything I need it to do. Not much luck finding a person who does side paint jobs, but the small shop I found will do a proper bumper, handles, molding off paint job for just under $3K. A new front glass from safelight will basically use all the insurance money and make it pretty again.

#10 ·
painting yourself these days is really not difficult at all - I would just paint the panels that are peeling, you can get a decent spray gun and polisher and matched paint for like 200 bucks. did it on two of my cars and people don't believe it.

Reactions: mattml430
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.