Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

2004 Rear Bumper removal

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  r2e 
#1 ·
This might be a silly question - do I have to remove the rear mudflaps to get the rear bumper off? I ask because a) it doesn't appear to be moving and b) the screws are hell to remove and I may end up having to grind them off! (I'm not bothered about putting the mudflaps back if so)

Apart from that the job looks simple, I have the pdf AR88.20-P-2200GK Remove/install rear bumper

#3 ·
I pulled my back bumper the other day from my 04 ML350. There are two long rectangles on the back of the bumper that pop out with 10mm bolts under them. took me a while to find them. provided yoube got the other 4 or 5 you can get at from the underside I think it should just lift up and out.

#4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the confirmation Art. That was my theory, but the damn thing won't move!

Jacob, everything I have shows four bolts holding it on from the rear, two underneath the rectangles you mention and two under the tow bar connection cover. You mention 6 or 7 so the info I have must be incorrect.

#5 ·
It is only 4 bolts. After removing the bolts, gently wiggle the bumper while pulling back. The other option is go to the side of the bumper. Face the wheel. Hold the edge of the bumper & gently pull out & back. Do the same for the other side. Go to the rear & pull it out completely.

#7 ·
Did it! However I did have to remove the mudflaps in the end, they were screwed through the wheelarch liner which is why the bumper wouldn't move. I suspect they are genuine Mercedes flaps as they are held on with star headed screws. However having done all that, it was a bit of a wasted job as the cover is double skinned. I wanted to get to the back of the outer skin as I had punched a hole through it and wanted to put in some reinforcement before filling and painting. Looks like it's going to be a bit of a 'bush mechanic' bodge job! Much as I love the truck, it just doesn't warrant spending out for a new or even second hand cover plus painting, not at UK prices.

Art and Jacob, thanks again for your assistance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.