Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

What Rubber Hoses to Change after 15+ years to avoid BRAKE DOWN

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  springerfever 
#1 ·
I am trying to keep my Bull Dog of a Truck as reliable as possible.
Last night I had to get towed home. Had smoke coming from the engine compartment due to my Aux pump lower rubber hose busting.The part number is 1635013782. The dealer wants $81 and rock auto wants $5 which is a uno parts. Think I will go with the UNO part for 5 bucks.

My question is?
I have changed the upper and lower rubber hoses and now going for the lower Aux pump hose. My truck is a 2001 and what other rubber parts on our truck should be changed after time. Would like to avoid getting stuck and towed, because of a simple rubber part.

I will Start.

1. Upper Radiator Hose - OEM part 1635010182
2. Lower Radiator Hose - OEM part 1635010582
3. Lower AUX Hose - OEM part 1635013782

Thanks foor reading

#2 ·
My 99 ML320 has 211k miles on the clock, still have all original rubber hoses except PS hose which was replaced on warranty. I'm not proud of these, just received upper and lower OEM hoses and ready to replace them for preventative maintenance. Some forum members stated OEM hoses outlasted radiator, LOL

mbdirectparts.com has Aux pump lower rubber hose 1635013782 for $60.50 + shipping
https://www.mbdirectparts.com/oem-parts/mercedes-benz-hose-1635013782

I would NEVER use anything URO brand. Once I replaced all 4 breather hoses with URO brand hoses, found all of them cracked at ends not quite 4 months later, replaced them all with MB hoses. I'm trying to stick with OEM when it comes to anything rubber for the peace of mind.

BTW, is your aux pump humming for about 4-5 minutes after shut off? Also, check your ball joints & control arm bushings for tear. Found 3 of upper control arm bushings were torn while doing brake fluid flushing, preparing to replace them all. My ML320 spent most of its life in warm CA.

#3 ·
I've just done all my vacuum hoses. You'll need about 1.5m.
Yesterday I did all my low pressure side, power steering hoses. The one under the engine off the rack was cracked all the way along the length of it. I bought about 1.2m of 3/8 trans cooler line for that. Not leaking but very soft. My top and bottom radiator hoses were ok but I changed them anyway. Also change the 2 short 16mm hoses off the oil cooler. One of them split about 6 months ago. I was about a minute from home when my low coolant light came on. The old girl always has a hiccup just at the rite time. Never left me stranded. All my other coolant/heater hoses seem to be in perfect condition. Still originals.

#7 ·
Matt, on the 55 I just used the U shaped metal part from the old hose going into the rack. I didnt use the metal in between part. Just the U part & new high pressure hose. Works great. Mush simpler than what I did with the 500 replicating the original hose.....

#10 ·
Only one URO part I would buy

There is only one URO part I would buy.
On BMW many of the water pump pulleys are plastic.
They regularly crack and shatter. Leaving you stranded.
URO makes a decent Aluminum replacement pully.
I have replaced every plastic pully with the URO.
Most of their stuff sucks, they do make a good pully.

#15 ·
Great question...answer is replace them all after that length of time. Engine compartment heat and vibration are tough on all rubber parts and their clamps and connections. ANY cracking or swelling of a rubber hose is leading to an 'issue'..., or worse.

Come to think of it, I can't remember ever having rubber brake line components replaced. Are those steel or should I put that on my list of items to check out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.