Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

430 transplant to a 55

5K views 65 replies 14 participants last post by  sparky1016 
#1 ·
Just preparing the old girl for her heart transplant in a couple of days if they get the engine out of the 55 I'm getting for her in time for the weekend. If not there will be a couple of lazy days at work next week.
I'm going the same path as josh did with his ecu and thanks to him he's done the hard work for me. So hopefully it will be a smooth transition. Hahahah dreamin I know. Something is bound to f##k up.

Poor old 430 has served me exceptionally well.

See less See more
#4 ·
Yes I got the complete engine and transmission/ transfer case. I was going to put the 55 chip into the 430 ecu. And use my engine harness. I tried getting everything of them that I needed for the swap but they have sold bits and pieces of ecu's and keys ect. So I couldn't get a complete set. Josh said replacing the chip has worked well so I'll go that way. Unless there's a better way.

#5 ·
Talk to someone who does ECU mapping. They will have ML55 ECU flashes. Then they can flash it onto your 430 ECU without changing chips......The other option is to change the mapping in the 430 ECU, meaning change the settings in the 430 ECU to a 55 ECU. I am sure there will be some knowledgeable guys in Aus in the ECU mapping area. Have a chat with them.

#6 ·
I will ring around today and see what I can find. But here in Aus as soon as you say the word mercedes and ecu they will become brain surgeons and want the same money. Lol
I will give it a go though for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 · (Edited)
Truly the best guy I've found here in the US , is Anthony Lawshee of Race IQ . www.raceiq.us

There was a young man in Aus Jeremey of ML Class - Mercedes Benz - Tuning . He use to Travel back and forth from Aus to Cali

If I remember Right he is a Aus citizen. He knows his stuff

_PTEngineering Pat

Thanks Pat I'll try him shortly and see what I can find out. I would rather not remove the chip but will see.
Cheers

I have contacted them so I'll wait for a reply. [emoji1303]

#11 ·
Wow, $10-16k is a lot of money for a ML55. That makes the engine/trans swap fiscally sound with your skills.

What a white custom bodied demon it will become. I wish I had the time and skill to do that. However any ML that has lived in
this part of the country is a rust bucket so it would be just be better if I went and found a decent ML55 from outside of the salt zone.

#13 ·
Haha absolutely.
I just heard from the wreckers and their mechanic has gone hunting for the weekend and left his car in front of the 55 so they can't get to until Monday. Damn it.
We are very lucky we don't have any rust problems here Rob. I feel for you.

#14 ·
I have heard back from Jeremy thanks Pat but it seems I would have to send my ecu over to the states. I don't really have that sort of time with the Ml being my daily driver. I have swapped the chip from a 2000 55 into my ecu. Looks to be successful but running it will be the true test.

#19 ·
Yes it's the intel chip Art.
Johs gave us this info at the end of his 55 swap thread. His ran really well after the chip swap. I asked him the same question lol. He sent me some info on what's needed to de soldier the chip. I watched lots of YouTube videos and had an old ecu here to practice on. With the rite tools and solder stuff it wasn't to hard to do.
I heard back from the tuning guys again and they said what I want to do does require a soldiering technique,and Jeremy is the only guy that does it for them and he'll be here in July. So I'm hoping I've done it ok I'm screwed if I haven't. It will be a nervous time hitting the start button. Haha.

#23 ·
Matt, I think the chip will be OK..they can take some heat. I removed my 55 chip like that it works. The chip removal solder I sent you works without much heat in the chip at all.I think you'll be OK though. I also tested every pin on the chip to the board after I soldered it on with the solder paste. That really is the best easiest stuff to use for this.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

#24 ·
Yes I did the same test and all came up good. The soldier paste is great stuff it worked very well and quickly so there would be bugger all heat in the resoldiering. I get my engine on Tuesday but I may have to go away working for a couple of days so it will be later next week by the time I get it fired up. Thanks for your help Josh.

#30 ·
I got my engine this afternoon and have fitted everything up and dropped it in.
Took the rocket covers off and found the engine to be very clean. So I'm hoping it will be a good engine. Hooked all the electrical up except the starter and ran a start cycle and didn't get a start error so I'm hoping my ECU job was successful.
Another couple of hours in the morning and should have a bit of smoke out of it.

#31 ·
Hi Matt,

You star :) Fingers crossed for you and keep the updates coming.

I've done a few engine conversation in my earlier years, nothing like this though. The driving force of conversions is normally to do with the love of the car and trying to improve it. Conversions are never cheap and just buying a newer model is just too easy, its the challenge and the pure satisfaction when done.

Keep going :) Take some youtube videos of it on the first starter. :)

Simon

#32 ·
Thanks Simon your a 100% rite its the challenge and the love of the car.
Didn't do anything today on it as my dad passed away today but he was suffering with Lewy body dementia so he is at peace know.
He was looking forward to seeing it go as well so the first start will be for him.
I will try that video it would be cool. Keep your fingers crossed for me mate. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.