Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Ok so i want to learn about my ML500.

876 views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  1081674 
#1 ·
Some of the questions i have already asked and you guys have been very helpful

There asre a couple of things i would like to know. Prior to my car i had a 320, i bought it cheap with a lot of K,s on it to see if i liked the, i did. One thing i noticed about the 320 was the temp gauge never moved from the 80 mark, was i lucky. My ML 500 temp gauge goes all over the place, especially if the oil level is getting down a bit. I have tried various oils, but i cannot seem to get hold of the 0w40 from mobil. I am using 5w40 from Nulon which has the same specs as genuine and Mobil oil. The 320 had 2 turbo fans, the 500 doesnt. My gauge has got as high as 120 and then dropped down after going down hill and getting air into the engine. Do i have a problem. I have changed the coolant, thermostat and water pump and ist made no difference.

Any ideas.

My second question is about the transfer case, and the front and rear difs. Should the transfer case oil be changed as this vehicle has never been in low range or off road, unless you consider a dirt country road that. As for the other 2, i know they have to be changed.

Yes i do ask a lot of questions, but i trust you guys to come up with some answer to stop me asking questions lol.

See less See more
#2 ·
Your allowed to ask as many questions as you like that's the whole idea. [emoji16]As for your oil I use penrite 10w 40 ten tenths. Full syn zinc racing oil. It's about $78 for 5L. Our temps here aren't that cold so the 10w is good. It can be used where a 5W is required. I've used it for years and swear by it. Not only in my vehicles. Transfer case is going all the time as the MLs are constant 4wd. Your electric fan is variable speed so may not be working correctly. Does the engine stay at around 80 at highway speed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
The engine sits between and 80 and 100, it never seems to alter, the one problem i have noticed is when sitting in heavy traffic, the temp starts to rise and goes over 100 quickly, but then comes down once air hits the front of the car. I have just changed my engine oil and its running closer to 80. I have never had a vehicle that does this before. It is giving me cause for concern, the next long towing trip is in June and my biggest worry, as it was in our first long trip, if something goes wrong, then we are stuffed. There are bugger all Merc dealers and garages on the roads in Australia, where as Toyota, well, every small town has a mechanic who knows how to fix them. This is one of the major reasons i am considering changing to a Landie.

#3 ·
Some of the questions i have already asked and you guys have been very helpful

There asre a couple of things i would like to know. Prior to my car i had a 320, i bought it cheap with a lot of K,s on it to see if i liked the, i did. One thing i noticed about the 320 was the temp gauge never moved from the 80 mark, was i lucky. My ML 500 temp gauge goes all over the place, especially if the oil level is getting down a bit. I have tried various oils, but i cannot seem to get hold of the 0w40 from mobil. I am using 5w40 from Nulon which has the same specs as genuine and Mobil oil. The 320 had 2 turbo fans, the 500 doesnt. My gauge has got as high as 120 and then dropped down after going down hill and getting air into the engine. Do i have a problem. I have changed the coolant, thermostat and water pump and ist made no difference.

Any ideas.
You need to investigate issue with engine cooling system. 100 C is OK when there is 35 C outside. 120 C is never OK.

#4 · (Edited)
Check the 100Amp fuse on battery + terminal. Most probably its blown & the fan doesn't come on......
Also have you checked your Aux Coolant Circulation pump?
You don't need 0w-40 in Australia. 5W-40 is a better choice for your weather.
Nulon? What is that? You have been told from day 1 on the forum to use MB approved oil. There is a REASON, why you don't see Nulon on the approved oil list.
Again, here is a list of approved engine oils from sheet 229.5.

Attachments

#11 ·
I went to Supercheap to get some here in Canberra. They told me they were not selling it anymore because people were not buying it due to its so expensive.

I did my change with Nulon fully synth 4w 40. I have used it before and unless i can find something better, i really dont see how it can do any harm. It meets all the requirments that Mercedes say it should. I think just because Mercedes doesnt have it on their list of oils, doesnt mean you cant use it, after all how many brands of oil pay Mercedes to promote them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.