Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

best Flat battery tool

2K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  dramos 
#1 ·
Greetings everyone!
Miss being here.
I traveled for a job & got back to meet a dead battery. Resting voltage 4.62V.
Apparently my younger brother couldn't keep things warm enough.

What's the best personal charging tool to get?
The battery man wants to take 3days to charge & 4 times the normal fee.

#2 ·
Can you not get your self a baterry charger ? First thing i purchased a long long time ago, that was for my first car some 50 years back now. You should have a conrctor under the hood to pop the crocodile clips on to . One on the body, and one on the possitive of battery..Thats if you have one main battery, as some have up to 4 batteries on new cars , depending on the year model

#3 ·
The whole battery is exposed under the bonnet in these MLs.

That being said any battery charger is better than none. Generally the slower the charge the better it is for the battery. The Ctek is ideal because it can be used as a battery tender also.

They are however a bit pricey IMO, but do an excellent job.
CTEK Multi US 4.3 - CTEK Battery ChargersCTEK Battery Chargers

#4 · (Edited)
+1 on the CTek.
Excellent charger for looking after your battery. When I was working away I used one. They come with a range of plug in connectors. I hooked one up to the back of the rear cigarette lighter/ power outlet and had the connector hanging out of the cd changer door. Then just plugged it in when I went away and left the power plug just hanging out the tailgate in case someone drove it without unplugging it from the power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
How long was vehicle idle? W163 is not known for issues with parasitic current draw. Something was left on. Gremlins ware playing your CD's. Vampire bats sucked life out of battery. Take your pick.

Or, battery was marginal to begin with and simply died. W163 uses 100 Ah battery. It takes 10 hours @ 10A to recharge from 11.9V (0%) to 12.6V (100%).

Starting from 4.63V will take a lot longer if successful.

#11 ·
Here is how the story goes

Battery was with the battery man for over 10days. He couldn't get adequate power/ electricity hence the long time it took.
Well, he had this battery tester connected that displayed that the battery was 11.75V and I recall when my DVOM reads 11.6V then the battery is fine.

I couldn't get any crank with the battery.
Checked with my DVOM and the '11.75V' read 7.68V. Meaning all those battery testers are a piece of rubbish.
Went to a battery shop, price is now 200% of previous cost. Told the man my battery ordeals
Got a new 100amps battery connected & had immediate crank & start.
Shop man disconnected battery terminals & removed the new battery then installed my old battery(negative first to remove & negative last to install making sure the negative doesn't ground). I know I'll be getting some whips from you all for doing this. After letting engine idle for 45mins my battery is back to life & fully charged-reads 12.14V engine off & starts engine with one crank. I cleared all the under voltage codes that were stored & have a clear dash.
Battery man refused to take a dime from me. It's my lucky day.

#15 ·
Guess this call for a lower rated alternator. I recall stumbling across several Amperes types on the internet. So which should I go for? The original alternator was replaced with a Reman one 2 years ago so I have no idea about the present one's rating.
Will give battery some more charge & see if I can get a 12.6V after overnight rest

#17 ·
Replace your regulator first Amos then worry about your battery. Depending on how long it's been overcharging it may not be that Healthy. High voltage is not great for all your electronics. Is it a maintenance free battery or can you add distilled water to it? If so you may need to top it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#27 · (Edited)
Good to be back to close this action point out.

I changed the voltage regulator-there's a little difference I noticed between the new & old voltage regulators. There's a green-blue capacitor that's absent in the old voltage regulator. There's no evidence it got burned out.

The battery couldn't hold full charge for long i.e voltage decays from 12.3V to 10.2V despite disconnecting battery for less than 12hrs after a full charge So I got another battery to make do with till a premium battery arrives.
Only chinese, malaysian & korean brands are available.6

Now I get 13.9V engine running compared to 15.5V previously.

Thanks champs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.