Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

No Rant, just Rave!

759 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  AV8R4AA 
#1 · (Edited)
After 1 year of ownership I just love my ML430.
I have done a fair amount of "preventative maintenance"
For me, that means time in service replacement items.
All new shocks, plugs, wires, tires, fluids etc.
The only pending item to do is a complete cooling system-ectomy.

Any items that wear out over time.
None of these items were broken, just 18 years on the road.
I have 2 BMW X5's, both require much more money and attention than the ML.
The ML430 is my always starts, always works vehicle.

It rides very nicely, comfortable seats and a nice stereo.
The only complaint is I wish I had a bigger fuel tank.

I get close to 20 MPG highway and that's about 300 miles per tankful.

I feel it's a lot better built than my BMW X5.
Certainly more suited to off road than the BMW.

I foresee this ML430 easily going another 100K with out any major problems.
Currently, I'm at 118K.

See less See more
#2 ·
It will make it another 100k. Our 99 is at almost 290k miles and drives well. Seeing as they don't use salt in the winter in Texas the rust we are fighting in Wisconsin will not be a factor in Texas.

I fear rust will be what takes our 99 off the road, but I am hoping that we can get a couple of more years out of it.

#3 ·
I still love jumping in my 430 every day after 10 years of having it. It has around 340,000km on it and doesn't even seem like it's ready to give up the ghost. Actually running better at the moment than it ever has. I feel for you guys Rob with the rust it must be so annoying watching your cars rust away. Would be almost impossible to stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
The rust really is insidious if it is a vehicle that has to be driven in the snow. The also use some other corrosive chemicals what it gets below 10º F because salt stops melting whrn it gets that cold. Seeing as the vehicle is hit with slush, mist and thawed snow/ice puddles all full of high concentrations of salt it gets into every nook and cranny.

On lesser vehicles things like shock towers, rockers, and frames are gone in 7-10 years rendering the vehicle a death trap.

#6 ·
Great to hear, AV8R4AA.....

AV8R4AA:

Wow, your post about exactly tracks with my experience with our 02 ML500, after about a year of ownership.

I appreciate you comparison with the BMW suv's. I did wonder how they were to own - now I realize that we ML guys are in really great situation.

My only complaint - not much of one - is the 5.0L is pretty thirsty. PTL, gas prices are low !

1.94 in our part of East Texas for unleaded, as of now. I can live with the 14 town / 18 hwy mpg at that price.

The power for towing we do appreciate.

It regularly tows a 2000# trailer easily.

We are even considering obtaining a 3500# small travel trailer in future, thanks to the tow capability.

I noted you're from Texas - is that in the Eastern Pineywoods region ?

Just curious - after 10 years here, we're still "learning" to map this massive, great state.

Take Care & Safe Travels,

David in East Texas :wink

#8 · (Edited)
I went off road yesterday. My version of off road is non paved.
Dirt road, back road, etc. not mud bog or crazy stuff.
I was actually very impressed with the ML performance. Had some deep rutsto navigate,
Tight turns. Never once slipped or had any doubt.

I took the ML430 down roads I would never take the X5.
The X5 is not an off road vehicle.
It's really not a very comfortable on road SUV either.
It looks a lot better than the ML430, but in the long run, i
prefer the Mercedes ride, comfort, ease of maintenance.

Off road in the BMW X5 means driving across the Polo field.
Or in a pinch, a dry soccer field.

I'm digging this SUV!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.