Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Ml55 swap.

9K views 111 replies 9 participants last post by  Josh198816 
#1 ·
Got the 55 engine in and everything plug and play.. New ecu the immobilizer chip was swapped to the new ecu so in theory my key should be fine. Now the question is it won't crank. Turn key on everything comes on fp turns on then off. Turn to crank and nothing. Any idea? I don't know what happens if the security system isn't allowing it to run but I read around that it would start then die correct?

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

#2 ·
In the absence of details, I'd say it won't work because your ECU version (MY2000) is incompatible with your AAM (MY1998). Your 98 AAM is VIN-specific and will only work with its original ECU.

I'm doing the ml55 engine. 2000 and some 01 used me 2.0. So engine, harness, and ecu send both to renntech and they copy from one to the other and put a tune in it and I'm on my way..
What did Renntech say when you told them the ECU won't run the engine?

#3 ·
Lol the M68hc11e9 chip in the ecu is what stores the vin/security information. Verified with Dian at renntech and James at Mbcluster. So the aam should be reading my vin. Shouldn't affect anything. So anyone have any real advice here. I know there is a solution here.

#6 · (Edited)
Its not just about storing security information. You might have sorted the DAS issue by swapping the chip.........
DrX's point is as real as it gets.....
The car will not start without seeing the AAM ( have that in mind).
Now, firstly, your MY98 AAM is not compatible with the new ECU. Secondly, the new loom AAM connector pinout wont match your AAM pinout.
So the ECU doesn't see the AAM, hence no crank.

#9 ·
All the connectors that plug into the aam are vehicle side. So the only loom changed was the one going to the ecu. And I'm not sure if you guys are thinking I put In a me 2.8 ecu but I did not. I have the me 2.0 just like what come out.. Just wanted to clarify

#10 ·
Ok. I think I'm with you now here.. I've done some reading around and apparently the Das system is separate from the aam on 2000+ Ml's and that's the reason it's not connecting to the ecu correct?

So if I were to get ecu aam ignition and keys from a 99 Ml430 and have the ecu programmed for the 55 engine should run it correct? Am I missing anything? I'm sorry if I'm irritating you guys. I'm really trying to keep up here.

#15 ·
Basically what I am wondering is the ecu keys and aam the only things that are coded together? Like for example say I still had the 3.2 in it and needed a ecu and put in a used one. Would those 3 things be all I would need for everything to communicate?

#19 ·
Of course.. The 320 engine isn't in the 55 engine is.. In 99 the only V8 is the 430 so I think it's worth it to see if that will allow it to start.
I've read posts of people swapping for 55 engines in c43 cars and the 43 ecu runs it. Maybe not optimal but if I can get it to start I can have it tuned for the 55 engine

Thank you for clarifying that

#25 ·
Did more tests. Getting power in and all grounds check out. The ecu is not turning on. Can't scan the ecu. I can get into all other modules. =bad ecu. Pinout is the Same confirmed by renntech. So I will be getting the Ml430 ignition key aam and ecu. Also confirmed by renntech that will work just fine.

#26 ·
Really didn't want to post on here because of negative replies from select people.. Figured I would to help some out. I got the key, ring, aam and ecu from a 99 Ml430 and put it in runs like a top. When I talked with Dian about it he said it's minimal difference between 4.3 and 55 tune probably not worth it dollar to hp gain. I may have it tuned later haven't decided yet. And BTW. Truck still stops the same.. I imagine if I was using all the hp of the engine and trying to stop I'd need bigger brakes but it's a daily driver no need.
Thank you to those who gave advice and helped along the way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.