Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Water spilled in the shifter.....

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  art_arev 
#1 ·
This is what happens, when water gets into the shifter........
In fact , its a facelift shifter. MB says one cant open it/service it/change parts and calls for a replacement..... I did open it & had access to each & every part. Each & every part can be replaced....Will post the "After" pictures when I am through with it........

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Actually Chris, the bottom is very closed to any elements. Nothing has access to the bottom, but water. You can see the bottom plastic cover. The shifter fits inside & gets tightened.
Electronic wise. You can see in the picture a black rectangular plastic box. That is were the electronics are. It is a very tight & sealed box, the water cant access it. Even if you pour water on it, the water would spill around it without accessing it. Check how high the box is positioned. You would need maybe 2-3 liters of water to reach the box. The other component is the solenoid. It sits higher then the base of the shifter. Some water can access it. But the way I see it, rust would be the main contributor to a failing shifter. There are a lot of thin metal plates, which if rusted would seize & not function.
So I would advice members to first remove the shifter & get rid of all the rust & dry everything properly & then try it.
Matt, all cleaned, no rust.......Sprayed the affected parts. Like brand new. Very positive it will work 100%. Will update the thread

Attachments

#7 ·
Matt everything comes off except the solenoid. It is riveted. Of course if it needs replacement, one can drill the rivets & remove/replace the solenoid.
Everything else is held together with e-clips & lock washers.
Again this is a facelift shifter. I don't know how yours is Matt.......
Will let you know how it goes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.