Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Doeas this unit have nav.? How do I tell?

1K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  Brian McL 
#1 ·
I am looking to buy a replacement head unit for my 2003 ML and want one with the nav feature. How do I know if the unit has nav? It does have a CD slot! Part number is A163 820 30 86 and the model is RA4210. Thanks

#2 ·
The part number you listed is for the MCS unit.

The NAV units mounted in the top section of the MCS unit are as follows:
CD NAV navigation module is 163 820 0989
DVD NAV navigation module is 163 820 3789 or Q646 0821

There is also a CD music player (non NAV) unit that was also available but rarely installed.

Mike

#3 ·
Some online searches suggest that you have a nav drive. But this thread suggests that you do not - http://www.benzworld.org/forums/aud...002-ml320-mcs-alpine-radio-compatibility.html.

I would guess no.

Other threads suggest that adding a navigation drive is plug and play, but you need a gps splitter to add under the passenger seat. The cd drive can be swapped for the nav drive by removing the radio and taking off the top cover. The drive unplugs and lifts out.

#6 ·
I don't know if you will need the splitter. The thread I was looking at was for a later model. Now I am looking here - DVD Nav Install on 02 ML320 HELP!! - MBWorld.org Forums.

Not positive it is plug and play either, actually. I'll retract previous advice, as you may have to have some coding done at the dealer. I'd call the dealer for this reason. They might require the original radio vin or other problems. I would figure that out in advance. If you pull your radio, look for an unconnected grey plug(gps antenna) amongst the harnesses. It's an easy way to tell if you have nav, too. Looking at the back of the radio, the top right of the radio/nav drive should have a small square plug receptacle for the gps antenna.

I can advise that you do remove the top cover of the MCS to see the NAV or cd drive model number. I also believe that MCS units with nav, the model number begins with NV. NV4BN110 is pretty common. I would reccommend acquiring a bill of sale with the original car vin and the radio code.

If you end up needing a Nav disk, I have one for sale in the classifieds for North America & Canada at a fair price.

Good luck.

#9 · (Edited)
You will have to remove the MCS unit and open the top to see the part number on the disc drive to see if it is a CD or DVD drive.
The Disc Drive part number may be visible from the back of the MCS unit without removing the top. Sorry not sure.

CD Music only drive Part Number ??? (sorry I don't know what that is)
CD NAV navigation module is 163 820 0989
DVD NAV navigation module is 163 820 3789 or Q646 0821

Note: both the CD and DVD NAV drives play Music CD's.

From what I remember all the units are Plug and Play however the audio may have to be version coded into the MCS.
I have never heard of needing any splitter when installing a NAV drive.

BTW. If you want to pursue this later just ask seller to confirm MCS # and Disc Drive #.
Stay away from the CD nav drive, they are way obsolete. Only go for a DVD NAV drive.
Also stay away from 2004 an 2005 MCS units. The pin assignments were changed in those years and you will not have any control over the screen brightness. It will be bright all the time, both Day and Night.

Mike

#12 ·
When you press the nav/sat button on the unit what does it say?
If you don't have the navigation module it will say "No navigation system installed"
If you do have the navigation module it will say "Please insert navigation CD/DVD."

If it's the later and if your vehicle didn't come with the GPS antenna you are better off getting an aftermarket in dash GPS antenna. The OEM shark fin antenna is STILL atrociously expensive and difficult to find online or at junk yard.

Just get this:

Official Genuine Antenna for PIONEER sph-da210 APPRADIO 3 IN-DASH 7" DVD | eBay

#13 ·
The CD navigation appears to be a more reliable drive than the DVD drive. You don't need the roof antenna, another poster used one of these and routed it under the dash near the window - GPS antenna FAKRA RNS-E For BMW Audi VW Mercedes NTG Comand APS Vauxhall Opel LW | eBay

Your cd changer should maintain compatibility if you have one, along with tele-aid and amp if applicable and fiber optic. But you would probably need to get version coding from the dealer, which would be worth a pre-inquiry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.