Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

ML320 BAS ESP, ETS, ABS, Brake Lights. Help!!

9K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  khomer2 
#1 ·
'99 ML320. I have these four lights on. They come on as soon as I start it. ESP light doesn't turn on or off when pressing the ESP button. Brake pedal also has a clicking/tapping sound going on. Can't hear it unless I stick my head right by it, but I can feel it ever so slightly when my foot is on it. New brake pads and rotors were put on. Brakes work fine other than no ABS. Engine seems to have less power than the last ML I had.

Any clues as to what the issue is? I really don't have $200 to blow on a diagnosis from the dealership and I need to know what needs to be fixed and how much it'll cost to be able to make a decision on whether or not to keep the truck.

Any insight is much appreciated.

#3 ·
ESP/BAS Light

I have a 2002 ML-500 with 157,000 miles on it. First my Check Engine light turned on.....So, I changed my gas cap, and then disconnected the battery for ten minutes, reconnected, and restarted. The Check Engine light went OFF!!! But now the BAS/ESP light illuminated! I read somewhere of a simple fix and it also worked. I started the car in PARK, while running, I turned the steering wheel all the way to the left, then all the way to the right, then straitened it out. The BAS/ESP light went off! I hope this helps someone else, and that my dash light issues are over. During all this, there was no change in the way the car drove or behaved.

#12 ·
'99 ML320. I have these four lights on. They come on as soon as I start it. ESP light doesn't turn on or off when pressing the ESP button. Brake pedal also has a clicking/tapping sound going on. Can't hear it unless I stick my head right by it, but I can feel it ever so slightly when my foot is on it. New brake pads and rotors were put on. Brakes work fine other than no ABS. Engine seems to have less power than the last ML I had.

Any clues as to what the issue is? I really don't have $200 to blow on a diagnosis from the dealership and I need to know what needs to be fixed and how much it'll cost to be able to make a decision on whether or not to keep the truck.

Check your passenger seat sensor or replace it should be OK!

#13 ·

From the stopped position, apply brake, start car. Turn steering wheel to the left until it stops and hold for a moment and then turn to the right until it stops and hold in place 5 seconds. Turn to center and watch if BAS light goes out. If it does the system is reset. If it does not, the BAS SENSOR will probably need replacing.

#14 ·
Necropost Jesse-Boy.
3 year+ old thread,
OP hasnt been around since early 2017.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.