Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Safe to drive in snow with bas/ets, esp, bas light?

3K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  vvrjrlaw 
#1 ·
I'm going to the mountains this weekend with the ML430. I will be taking a major highway up there where it is salted/sanded and used by many. Do you guys think it's safe to take the ML up there with the three lights on?

#2 ·
We have had an ABS pump wiring harness corrosion problem that I am finally fixing soon.

We live in one the hilliest regions of WI and my wife has been driving our ML320 with no ABS, ESP or BAS. It has been fine.
We have had lots of snow, icing and dealing with badly maintained country roads. Part of the credit goes the amazing Nokian
WRG3 SUV tires, but she also knows to take it easy. Even if all the driver aids were working we still play it safe in the snow.
IMO you will be fine.
At some point you will want to get it fixed so I am moving your thread to the W163 section.

#3 ·
In my experience, these lights typically don't mean the functionality of the system in question has failed. Between a MY02 320, MY01 E430 and MY05 ML500, I do not recall a single time when the problem has actually been the item indicated by the warning light. It usually ends up being a bad sensor or related electronics gremlin. That does not mean it doesn't happen. What I have done when these lights show up is go out and test the system. If you have snow around, find an open parking lot and slam on your brakes. That will quickly tell you whether or not you are OK - BAS is probably the hardest to tell. ABS is audible and you can feel it. For ESP, I would make a quick steering turn to see if the vehicle basically takes over. Also, remember that these stability features (I don't recall which) work up to 50 or 55 mph, and you are on your own after that - please check with your owner's manual for more exact operational details.

#6 ·
My experience with them is that they generally turn on after I've driven through snow or some mud where the sensor gets covered or the rings on the wheel get packed. Once they melt or the mud dries they go away. Or if not I turn the wheel from lock to lock and that cures the problem. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.