Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Rear passenger door handle not working. Please help

5K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  sparky1016 
#1 ·
I have a 99 ML320 and the rear passenger door handle, it is a chrome color, is fully intact but whatever it is attached to that lets it open the door is broken. I can open and close from the outside.

I think it stopped working when my granddaughter pulled it open hard when it was unlocked.

If anyone knows the PART and/or the PART numbers I can get I would greatly appreciate it as the weather is getting worse and I need to get this fixed.

THANK YOU so very much.

#5 · (Edited)
Looks like the tiny spring on on the door locking mechanism broke, resulting the inside handle won't work. Here's the YouTube tutorial on how to replace the broken spring. You can buy the spring from UK seller via EBay or Amazone.
The fix doesn't seem to be hard, but you'll need get the needed spring, 4mm allen wrench with 150mm handle and really heavy duty riveting tool plus 3/16" rivets.

At least you're still able to open and close from outside for now, but the outside handle may not work sooner or later, I have the same problem on two doors which I'm not using. I'm getting needed parts and waiting for warmer weather.

#11 · (Edited)
I have the same, no tension on the door pull handle inside, RF & RR. I'm getting necessary tools and parts(150mm long hex wrench, heavy duty rivet gun, 3/16" rivets and door panel clips) before I try the spring replacement shown in above post #5. Already bought the spring and tool from UK, took 2 weeks to get them.

#8 ·
Thank you and YES I meant the interior rear passenger (chrome) door handle on my 99 ML320.

There is absolutely NO tension on it so something is broken and that is the part(s) I am looking for. That is why my grandchildren have to wait for me, or who is driving me to outpatient hospital therapy, to get out of the car - walk to the rear door - and open the door.

My desire was to get these 3 things fixed as winter is here.

Thanks again and I apologize for any confusion.

#9 ·
THANK YOU so very very much.

I am having my mechanic, during his off hours, repair these 3 things I posted on this forum and it is 100% helpful, for me and for him, for you to have taken your time and given me such great information. Your kindness, and attention to detail, means a great deal to me and I do appreciate it.

Take care.

#13 ·
One other thing to try before spending $$$ is to open the door, pull the outside door handle all the way in its open position and then pull the inside door handle all the way open. If that does not work, you may call the bank.

#14 ·
Where should I start?
You could start by telling us the history of your problem. Has it happened before, and you managed to get it working again? If it is of sudden onset, without warning, then you'd have to assume something broke. Remove the handle and have a look.

After you remove the lock cylinder with a long 4 mm Allen wrench, move the handle rearward to remove it.

#15 ·
Please, someone tell me a simple way how to identify WHICH door lock actuator is at fault?
As I read more and more on this subject, single broken actuator is causing all doors to machine gun.

Right now, I can't open RF & RR from inside with pull lever. And occasionally, these two doors won't close, have to play a few minutes with key from outside. :banghead::banghead:
Thanks!

#16 ·
You can bypass the lock actuator electrics by unplugging the door separation connector and bridging pins 1 and 3. The car will then think that door is closed and locked.

A faulty actuator will fail to signal that it is locked, which makes the AAM keep trying by unlocking and locking it. If you have a single bad actuator, bypassing it will stop the machine-gunning. However, some owners have ignored machine-gunning leading to failure of other actuators: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w163-m-class/2109465-machine-gun-locks-6.html#post10948634

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.