Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Engine swap.

3K views 40 replies 6 participants last post by  DrX 
#1 ·
Now I also have a lower end noise and checked oil pressure. At idle drops below 10. Almost nothing. I'm going to just swap the engine with a amg 3.2 s/c one. I have everything to get it done just need the advice from someone here to get the ecu part figured out. I've talked with some tuners and apparently have 2 options either tune the existing one to run the amg engine or recode one that matches the new engine to accept the security system and Vin. Breckman industries would have to unlock it first.. Anyone have any experience with this or have any advice? Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I'll be honest. I don't care for the engine that's in it. It has alot of miles on it and they have no power. I'd rather buy a better one and enjoy the money I spend on it instead of still having a slow turd of an engine. I do all the work myself and I can pick up a low mileage unit for cheap. Not to mention I drive for work so with high mileage it's not going to last forever

#4 ·
You would be surprised. I have a client that has a supercharged E55 M113 V8 and he is nearing 320,000 miles. He is on the road 20 days a month covering 3 states for an avionics company. Yes the forced induction cars do have some issues, but he has not had any major wallet busting repairs. He bought it 3 years old with 69,000 miles on it.
It is possible to get a lot of miles out these supercharged engines.

If Breckman can make the ECU work your keys will not be an issue and the conversion would be pretty cool seeing as you can get a low mileage C32 engine for the right price.

#6 ·
I was reading another forum and seen that someone desoldered the eeprom that stores the security and key information from the old ecu and soldered to the new one.. Supposedly then you shouldn't have to code anything.. Sound right?

#8 ·
Because the price difference is double.. Lol. The c32 engine has more than enough for me and a little cheaper. I can get a c32 engine with 80k for under 1000 with warranty including harness. Ecu for a couple hundred more. Only thing I'm wondering is the ecu part..

#14 ·
Ok that's exactly what I was looking for.. In that case I should be able to swap in a 4.3 amg out of a 98 model c43 which uses me 2.0.. Unlock that ecu from the c43 and adapt it to my ml.. Already sourced an unbeatable price for that engine and apparently makes decent power too..

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

#20 ·
I do completely understand that. And that's exactly why asked what I did.. I need to know the difference so I know to get the correct one.. Besides that it's pretty obvious if I change the engine the engine harness will be changed. I'm doing the ml55 swap. Got the engine. Need the correct me 2.0 ecu to replace the v6 one.

#21 ·
Renntech is going to be copying the coding to the new ecu. Just need the correct one. And since I haven't messed with them and did not know what the physical difference was I may have got the wrong ecu. Thank you for that information

#25 ·
That's why I was listening to what you were saying.. I'm doing the ml55 engine. 2000 and some 01 used me 2.0. So engine, harness, and ecu send both to renntech and they copy from one to the other and put a tune in it and I'm on my way..

#30 ·
Another thing while I'm doing this I want to do the rear coil spring swap with the ml55 springs.. Anyone have a part #? Does that leave the ride height the same? I just need better handling with more power.. Also heard I can swap the front and rear sway bars also..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.