Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

coil pack testing

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  ChrisBrooks 
#1 ·
Hi, has anyone posted on coil pack/crank position fault finding - testing or diagnostics please, my 2004 gas converted ML350 is smelling of unburnt gas from the exhaust, so assume coil pack or similar problem. I would like to diy it but don't want to lose hands/fingers.

thanks for any help,

ChrisBrooks

#5 ·
I have fault code P0335 and also occasional fluttering when moving off from standing with a warm engine, also a smell of unburned fuel (autogas) when idling.
Start with replacing crank sensor. Search this forum with P0335. Plenty of reading. Crank sensor is used for misfire evaluation.

#7 ·
I had a coil pack fail on me last week. Symptoms were sudden noticeable loss of power and rough running. The misfire didn't disappear after stopping and starting the engine. Codes were random misfire and misfire cylinder 4. When the coilpack was moved to cylinder 5, the misfire code followed. A new coilpack solved the problem. Your problem doesn't sound like mine.

#8 ·
CPS

Thank you every one who replied, I have fitted a new cps and the fault code has gone :smile The car runs like new again, and yes the same problem of unburned fuel was present when running on petrol, still a faint whiff when ticking over but nothing like it was.

I will carry out a full service next and perhaps all the 'smells' will disappear.

Thank you all again. A Happy New Year to everybody.:grin

ChriBrooks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.