Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Emergency roadside HELP

744 views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Unhofliche_Gesundheit 
#1 ·
My daughter is out with our 1999 ML430 and just called to say the Check engine light went on and "Fuel" light is blinking. ( gas level is 3/4+)
Naturally I can't get the engine code with her out.

Does anyone know what that could be?

Appreciate your help........it is rainy and late out

#3 ·
Then when it gets home run the codes because one is set. Should be relatively simple. The cap probably wasn't on tight enough and tripped the smog system ( that's what they called them in the early 1970s). Once you have the code you can clear it. Good luck.

#4 ·
Thank both of you very much............I have been trying to reach her in class, but kids don't answer the phone

That would be great if that was it, and she did fill up before she left.........hopefully they did not forget to replace the cap......or it is something else.

I'll check the code when she gets in, but don't want to be traveling out on a breakdown late at night........it is 8:30pm already and she is about an hour out.

But really appreciate your opinion and help! Mike

#6 ·
All......Found the attendant at the gas station did not install the cap......went and picked it up this morning ( he claims he was distracted by another car giving him a hard time.lol)

Engine codes were P0455 and P0136 Hopefully the 136 code was a side issue from the cap issue as the sensors are only 3-4 months old and the code did not appear before the cap was left off. ..

Appreciate everyone's quick help

#8 ·
Yea right....lol I think he was looking for a tip telling me how expensive it is. ( advance had one for $12 ..checked before I went there online )
But hey........thanks again...........nice to be able to get quick help on the road. I am just glad I did not have to travel out late yesterday in the storm........and that was dangerous with a full tank and no cap.
( she claimed her phone was turned off in class.......LOL)

#11 · (Edited)
you may find code resets itself after the driving cycle. check in a few days time after some driving. you might not need to do anything ; speaking from some experience with a mercury 15 years ago. mercedes, mercury, same thing right? meh!
oh and of course phone is off in class, are you kidding?
also my ML's gas cap is attached with a lanyard, you cant leave it behind.
a good feature i always thought. And sounds like if you live in jersey (where one does not pump one's own gas and is subject to attention span of unmotivated minimum wage employee,( not blaming, just being realistic)) you should tie your cap to the car per original design intent (mind you loss of cap once every 17 year is not bad, but if you dont follow my advise about attaching the cap, well dont come back complain to me in 2033 - as i will be dead. haha )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.