Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

2002 ML350 loud humming noise from heater valve (?)

3K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  vvrjrlaw 
#1 ·
I'm hearing a loud humming noise coming from under the hood. There is a valve mounted to the inner fender well, to the left (passenger side) of the engine, about a foot from the firewall. It is vibrating loudly. It has heater hoses coming from it, so I believe it is a heater control. I checked the coolant level and it is correct.
If I knew the part number I would order a new one but I don't know where to find an illustration of the engine compartment, identifying the part. Is there a place (online) where I can find this? Thanks

#2 ·
I looked around a bit and found a photo online of the part I was talking about. It is an auxilliary water pump and is Part # 0018356064. I'm off to order one. I placed a photo of it on the sticky at the top of the board (W163 parts photos) in case someone else needs it.

Attachments

#6 ·
If you can hear it from three feet away with hood closed it is about to lock up. Search this forum for "auxiliary water pump". Original replacement is available from MB only for $320. I have seen some post about VW/Audi substitute for a lot less.

#7 ·
I used the VW/Audi pump and it was a perfect fit hose wise. It is a little different internally but certainly not enough to justify the difference between approximately 75.00 and 320. It only has one job, to pump water through the system to prevent hot spots keep the passenger compartment warm after the engine shuts down and the recirc button is pressed. Good luck.

#14 ·
Like Art I had no problem fitting the hose. It slipped on with just slight resistance.

I wish I could post the number I got, but both MLs are on the road right. My wife got a new job and
one is away at college learning pre-med. It will be tons smarter than me. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.