Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

DIY Sticky parking brake pedal

32K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  dramos 
#1 · (Edited)
DIY Sticky parking brake pedal FIXED

Over the years, parking brake pedal gets sticky (first video). This can be due to many problems since there are many parts involved. But the problem in my car was the dry and sticky spring of the parking brake pedal. Since this is a very easy fix, lubricating this spring can be tried first (see the second video). Problem is that you don't see the spring when you remove the footwell cover. What you need to do is to remove the side panel of the dashboard, single torx screw, then top cover of the footwell and lastly two screws holding the lower dash. Now you can pull the dashboard and spray it with your choice of lubricant.

If this does not solve your issue; there are 3 separate cables that you should check: from the pedal assembly to the lever (85), and from the lever to the brake pads in both rear wheels. See this link for stuck cable: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w163-m-class/1405114-parking-brake-stuck-2000-ml-320-a.html

Attachments

See less See more
2 3
#8 · (Edited)
What I found out was cable 79 wasn't well seated in release handle(77/77a) in @Merzatt's pictorials

Took out the bolts & dash forward to properly put 79 & 77/77a back in place.

Didn't have a spray grease for the spring so I just dropped some sewing machine oil front & back of the spring while operating the pedal.

It is fixed now. No longer have to pull handle 3 times to properly release parking brake.
Thanks all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.