Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Exterior Mirror Oddity

2K views 29 replies 4 participants last post by  WE47B1ME 
#1 ·
Hey fellas --

I jinxed it the other day when I said my truck has never had the electrical gremlins plague it...

Out of the blue, my passenger side mirror has stopped adjusting -- sort of. When mirrors are out, cannot move in any direction. However, when folded in, I can move the mirror up and down, but not left to right. Extended back out, no direction at all. Driver side mirror functions properly.

Pulled fuse in kick panel, it's fine.

Can only assume there's a wire than been pinched from all the opening and closing throughout the years since 2 directions work with the mirror folder in? Or has anyone seen this to be an actual problem with the motor inside?

Thanks!

#2 ·
FWIW I was able to add a new piece to the puzzle over the past few days. The mirror is back to its normal function after 30 minutes of removing the fuse in the passenger footwell, and toggling all the buttons on the mirror switches.

HOWEVER -- I can replicate the problem of the passenger mirror NOT WORKING, by shutting the truck off while the mirror is in the dip-down reverse position. If I shut the truck off immediately after reversing while the mirror is still in dip-down mode, I have to go back through the fuse pull, button toggle exercise.

Not a pain at all, and have been making sure I get it out of dip-down mode before shutting off the truck, but wouldn't even know where to begin to determine what is causing the whole passenger mirror to cease function when fully extended when this occurs.

#3 ·
Bump

Hey fellas --

Just wanted to resurrect this thread to see if anyone new might be able to chime in. The problem with the Passenger mirror seems to be worsening.

NOW -- when I put the truck in reverse, the dip-down does not work at all, and if I try to move the mirror down with the button manually, it does not work upon FIRST press. However, if I press the adjust button a second time, it goes down fine. Then when truck is back in Drive, the mirror returns to proper position automatically as it should.

However, it will not go into dip down mode by itself anymore. The mirror will also not adjust itself upon first press. It's always the second press that does it. Which I can understand why dip-down doesn't work. The computer tells the mirror to go down, but because it's the first "press", it won't do it.

Additionally -- the mirror still has not moved left and right for months now. The driver side mirror is just fine.

Have swapped out fuses to no avail. Any ideas?

Thanks!

#4 ·
You would have to think it is the wiring in the mirror itself. It's definitely a curly one. It would be good if you could go to a wreckers and ask them if you could just plug a mirror in and see if it works properly. Tell them you want to do it in their car park. It's not much trouble to disconnect the mirror.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
Retrieving? Not sure I follow Jim.

I'm starting to think there's a cinched wire too. Today I couldn't adjust the passenger mirror at all until I folder in the mirrors, and voila, I could move it up and down in the folder position. BUT -- still no left or right.

Checking junkyards around LA this weekend.

#14 ·
I've thought about that -- only thing I can think of re: liquid is my interior detailer I'll spray on a cloth and wipe around the console weekly. Some small amounts of it may have gone into the switch, but it's not like a drink spilled in there or anything.

#17 ·
So my dip down had been working consistently since my last post, until last week. From previous history, motor would still only go up and down, haven't been able to adjust mirror left to right in years.

Now it seems completely dead -- hasn't worked at all since last Sunday. Fired up the scanner, is this a fancy way of saying the adjustment motor in the mirror is dead?

It's still reporting adjustment values, and computer knows when I have the right mirror selected (so I'm thinking it's not the console switch).

Attachments

#22 ·
I thought about that, but with the scanner recognizing switching from left to right mirror, and the directional working in all directors on the left mirror, would you rule that out?

Going to check the harness today. Forgot to mention yesterday that the folding function still works fine, imagine it's following the same wiring path as the mirror adjustment wires.

#24 ·
I had said the mirror adjustments weren't working from time to time. Window, door lock, speakers, lighting all work and always have.

What's not working right now is the passenger exterior mirror adjustment (up, down, left, right), and the dip down. Folding in and out works.

Driver exterior mirror works, no problems whatsoever.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.