Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Stopped, no start, no function, no display lights

4K views 64 replies 8 participants last post by  dramos 
#1 ·
Car (W163 ML320) stopped while under power, motor dead. no indicator lights except "Airbag off" No Hazard lights, No brake lights & no park unlock, but Radio sys works?
Emergency service proved battery OK.
removed battery for 24hrs, same result except radio now needs code.
Please help, such a good car when it actually works well.
Cheers
John & Joy

#4 ·
Thanks for that, the emergency service guy tried jumper with good battery, same result.
It was driving up a slight hill then suddenly All Off ? No hazards, No brake lights, no central lock.
the "Airbag Off" light on & had been on for a few days,
removed battery for 24hrs, same result except radio now needs code.

#6 ·
Q,43sqd:- What other Instrument Cluster lights are on when you turn the key to pos. #2 ?
A:- None ? except the yellow "Airbag off" light, which Joy said has been on for a few days. All fuses & battery checked OK by "NRMA Emergency services" but unable to do more, Today NRMA towed car to auto elec. to hopefully resolve & may fix other main prob of going into "Limp mode" when decelerating to 1200 rpm the BAS/ESP lite comes on & No throttle until motor off & restarted then "Power on".
I have gained some improvement by winding the throttle cable tighter to bring up idle to 1100 rpm although tends to hunt revs up & down till warm.

#11 ·
Thanks "43SQD" it was circuit 15 (K12 relay), it ran ! Yea!
So the auto elec could assess it, but 2 weeeks later he had limited time for tricky probs & on driving around he also was mystified how it can at times drive fine, then randomly if the revs are below 1000-RPM & traveling above 10KPH The BAS lite comes on & No throttle function, can back gear to 2nd to spin motor up, ignition off & on >power back on !!
I was given car back to play with till he had more time, I removed (progressively) all relays, stripped down & cleaned & restored All relays with high hopes as several were in poor condition, result >Same
If we approach intersections in 2nd gear left foot braking & right foot keeping motor above idle it is OK, not easy & unsaleable.
Surely Someone has some tips ??
Cheers

#12 · (Edited)
We discussed this problem 4 months ago, at which time you were advised to get your codes read. Until this is done, your problem will remain unsolved.

Your ESP module can cut engine power by controlling the ECM. At the same time it flashes its warning light, so you can expect there will be a code. You need a pro-level scanner that can extract codes from your ESP module. Your MB dealer has one.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w163-m-class/2604186-w163-ml-no-start-no-central.html#post14149450

#13 ·
The latest on this troublesome '01,ML, worse as weather warms up in Aust. the ML is fineish cold, then if travelling over 8MPH & REVs under 1400RPM it looses throttle completely& BAS/ESP light on. we downshift forcing REVs up then sw. ignition Off/On, all OK till next time, (city driving, Brake & Throttle at same time & usually in 2nd).
I considered Throttle valve, stripped off ducting & found Crankcase venting onto Throttle valve ?
(US & Aussie cars had a PVC valve to vacuum manifold) Cleaned contaminated throttle valve with throttle cleaner, sealed up crankcase dump point & piped crankcase fumes into open bottle to test,
All OK !! No probs ! what detects fumes & shuts down throttle or sticky throttle valve detected & shut down??

Left car for Joy to enjoy drive home from work as I went to Sydney, Ph. call! car is Dead! No Go at all!
No engine function, no dash lights except "Airbag off". No hazard lights, Brake, Park unlock, fans.
Working is horn, headlights, radio.
(Joy wants to dump it, New tires)

#16 ·
Yes, "Get it Scanned" but a scanner will only work if the computer has power, as previously happened.
I will try K12 relay again, (replaced last time). the last time scanned at Mercedes there was nothing that stood out, I have misplaced the sheet (should have scanned it)
No comment on the apparent improvement by bypassing the crankcase fumes from throttle valve ??
Thank you for help, John

#60 ·
Yes, "Get it Scanned" but a scanner will only work if the computer has power, as previously happened.
Car has many faults, have had codes read 3 times over years $350spent & never anything conclusive have cheap reader only partial result.
Before you offered a lousy excuse, but now you're not getting the codes read?

Your next thought should be, "I saved money by repairing the AAM myself, so I can spend that on getting the codes read." Do it soon before the euphoria wears off.

The solution to crankcase emissions is to re-install the PCV pipe, as designed.

#18 ·
Thanks 43sqd, K12 is newish& swapped to test, same.
Merc. NoGo, hoping these volts may point to something like Ign.Sw?
No power at all F2,3,5,9,11,12,15,16,19,20,22,23,24,25,26,29,30,31,34,35,37,(40),42,45,46,47,48.
Power on #0 F4,8,13,17,(18)21,27,(40)41,43,44. note-(x)=No fuse inplace
Power on #1 F4,7,8,10,13,17,(18),21,27,(40),41,43,44. New on=7=wipers,10=Radio,
power on #2 F4,7,8,10,13,17,(18),21,26,27,(40),41,43,44. New on=26=Ign coils

Secondary fuse panel RHS footwell
No power F13=FuelPump,17=rear window heat (F13 checked at sw on to confirm timer control =0v)
Power on #0 F5,6.
Power on #1 F1,2,3,5,6,(7)
Power on #2 F1,2,3,5,6,(7),8,26=Crt15, 8=seat heat (K9 relay Sw on Crt15 OK)

Note- At Ign on to #1or2 Airbag offlite comes on for 3sec,off 1sec on 1.5sec off every time
Batt discon 5hrs, same, jumper to running car, same
Working is Headlights, horn, & wipers(ign on),
Batt off removed 2x computer nr engine fuse & remount also disconnect ABS brake unit & refitt.
Also no screen wash for while, & noisy pump motor running near oil-filter lately (probably unrelated)

#22 ·
Batt off removed 2x computer nr engine fuse & remount also disconnect ABS brake unit & refitt.
Having determined that there's no voltage at the coil side of relay k12, the next time you unplug the AAM, plug in a new one (or working used one). Book an appointment with your MB dealer, where they can program your old keys for remote locking, and read the codes from your ESP/BAS module. Then fix the ESP/BAS fault.

Swap the front washer pump with the rear one, until you can buy a new one.

#21 ·
Jim,

There is easier way to pick up pink or tan wire from ignition switch. It branches off inside fuse box and goes to fuse #26 ignition coils. Then continues to pin #1 of AAM.

#27 ·
Thanks 42sqd, below K12, #30=12v but #85,86,87=0v.
Ign Sw. Red 12v always, pink 12v Pos-2, Orange 12v Pos-1,2 Grey 12v Pos-1,2 White 0v, Green 0v
I hope this is revealing ??
I just found the Crt Diag loaded 24~26 Excellent may help.
Note to DrX, Brisbane, Joy no longer drives Merc, ~Too dangerous to take kids to school.
I was confident I had solved the throttle fault by piping the crankcase blowby out of intake sys.
(I was on way to Sydney to buy a '04 Toyota Estima with the Jap import toys when this Merc. NoGo fault appeared for Joy who then hired a car as 35deg.
Our current '01 Tarago has 4000,000Km & No replacement parts except 2 sets front brake pads. radiator top tank & some screen top turret rust.)

#35 ·
N10 is your AAM, which you have previously found, in your engine bay fuse/relay box, attached to the fuse panel. I advised you to replace it back in post #22, after you had established that voltage is not getting to relay k12.

You can unplug and replug things repeatedly, but if the item you unplugged is faulty, the results will be the same unless you change something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.