Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

is my fuel economy good or bad

2K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  sparky1016 
#1 ·
I want to know about fuel economy. When do we say it's good or bad.
I spend 45-75mins on a 12km journey to work daily. An average of 6L fuel is used for that journey. I'm thinking it's way too bad though about 20mins of the total time spent is on go-slows. Can someone shed some lights:smile

#5 · (Edited)
No one, not even the Pope, even with Divine Intervention, gets decent MPG in Lagos traffic. 1.0 L = 0.26 g and 1 km = 0.62 mile. 1.0 km/L = 2.4 MPG. You are making ~2 km/L, about 4.8 MPG. That's pretty darn bad, even for Lagos traffic - someone please check the math, becasue I was not expecting that rate.

#6 ·
Too bad for me then. Where precisely do i look to improve on my MPG? Changed my spark plugs, cleaned the carburetor, air filter and MAF. What next?
As regards the trip computer, I never saw any light up from my overhead light console trip computer. Bet it doesn't have it. Find attached what I saw this evening.

Attachments

#7 ·
You do not have the trip computer. You can get a used one and is plug and play.

Here is the bottom line. Based on the driving pattern you have posted I have also gotten fuel mileage that bad in Chicago stop and go traffic. That was with 93 octane fuel. If these 4700lb beasts have to stop, wait and the get back up to speed and then it is repeated over dozens of times over a drive less than 20 miles they will consume fuel at a rate of 12-13mpg.

There is not much you can do to change the laws of physics other than getting a diesel Corolla.

#8 ·
I did same journey this morning in about 30mins easing up on my usual heavy gas pedal press. Road was kinda free due to the Eid holiday. Will find time to get a trip computer and hope that will give my Drama wings to fly.
There's a lot of rumours about bad diesel in Nigerian markets making diesel engines a money-pit. I will keep a Diesel Corolla in mind however.
Be back with a feedback if my pedal ease leads to any improvement. Thanks veterans.

#9 ·
WIth traffic like that you shouold consider a car with stop-start technology. These shut off as soon as your car comes to a full stop, and restart automatically when you depress the gas or clutch. I drove a Golf in Europe last month with it - worked perfectly. You'd probably have to go with reduced AC, though, in countries where you really need it to see the biggest benefit.
Do Stop-Start Systems Really Save Fuel? | Edmunds.com

#12 ·
I installed a trip computer after months of searching at the wreckers. Finally got 1 yesterday. Had 6.6MPG for a short drive around the community. Lolz
When I resume work I will have a more accurate reflection.

Also I guess there must be some workout so that the trip display can be illuminated especially for night driving.

#13 ·
ML sounds like the wrong tool for the job, one up on the diesel corolla - If i were you I would be pedaling. I dont say this idly, i pedalled 11..2 km twice a day for a decade. (3 seasons only, mind, not in the snow).
if you want some luxury get a high quality e-bike (not scooter style, bike style where the electric motor exactly puts in what you do).
helmet, safety vest for visibility. flashing light too.
not cheap, but the breakeven calculation is favorable. there are a lot of upsides, not least you should be able to sail thru the gridlock. i know its not apples to apples, my ride took me via a winding paved path through the forest, trees, brooks, fresh air and nature ... i suspect you wont come accross many deer in the dappled sunlight on your trip....

#20 · (Edited)
Here's what the trip computer reveals

60-90mins drive to or from work
Is it one way or round trip? In my working days, my daily drive was 1.4 miles to work, one way. I only needed to get gas once a month, driving about 200 miles/month, roughly 13-15mpg, but I was continuously getting 21-22mpg on freeways.

I've never been to neither San Anton or Lagos, but been to Los Angeles or SF, short 2-3 mile drive seemed to take forever at 1 hr or so. Seriously, 1-1.5 hr drive for 12km(7.5mi) is bad but can be expected in busy downtown traffic during rush hours.

You can improve your fuel economy by changing your driving habit in those stop-n-go traffic. Avoid doing jack rabbit start & easy on braking alone should boost your fuel economy noticeably. Also, going 55mph on highways will get you much better MPG than going 75mph.

On a side note, long ago I knew a guy who drives VW Golf, would inflate all four tires to its maximum pressure (to 80psi or so) was bragging that he gets 80mpg! I would never do this, but he's got an idea, but I wouldn't recommend it.

#21 · (Edited)
I usually go around 50-65MPH if not in stop-go.

The real distance to work is approximately 24km(15miles).

Also easing up on the brakes is extremely difficult in Lagos cos every driver is mad. Lolz

I check my tire pressure 1-2 times weekly in the mornings & make sure it's around 30psi in all. One vulcanizer put 60psi once & I was freaking scared when I found out.

The only thing to make me put up to 40psi is if 43sqd & Art tells me it's safe & wise.:grin

#23 ·
I run 34 in the front and 36 in the back. On a hot day on the highway that can increase to 40-42.
That is in 20" tyres. Unless you know a good back surgeon keep them in the 30-40psi range. At 80 psi you might save fuel but destroy the rest of the suspension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.