Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Greeting From New ML430 Owner

2K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  cis8vgti 
#1 ·
Salutations,

This weekend I picked up my first MB, a 2001 ML430. Unfortunately, the vehicle was neglected and has multiple issues.

An assortment of oil and perhaps ATF leaks.
Multiple not all warning lights are illuminated in the dash
Car will not shift out of first gear
Plastic on windows to keep water out.
Cracked front bumper
Scraped up back bumper
Missing engine cover
Radio/Navi needs security code
All 4 rotors are work down severly. The rotors are lips like BBS wheels :eek
Various rust bubbles on bottom of doors.

I already ordered the window switch. I will see if I can find a fellow member selling an automatic shifter in known working condition. After these two items, my immediate worry is the transmission. I will purchase a kit to change the ATF and filter. Hopefully, I will find no surprises in the pan.

I hope I can save the car and use it as a second vehicle. I am looking forward to owning my first Mercedes.

See less See more
#2 ·
yikes! you've taken on quite a project. i hope you can make that truck a lucky ml! years ago, i owned a silver '99 for a short time, wife wanted it in the divorce. i kept the e430...

mind sharing some details on the purchase? price, mileage?

it's been said there's nothing more expensive than a cheap mercedes but, i suppose you can buck the trend if you do your own work.

#3 ·
Yes, I will be doing all of the work myself so that should account for some savings.

Car was listed for $2,400. I picked it up for $1,600. I still think I paid too much but the ML is black on black with AMG wheels. My wife said I will buy anything with that color combination..

Just looked under the hood again. The oil is beat and the air filter is dirty, so I will add this to the list.

The ML has 210K miles and zero service history. A typical Craigslist, side dealer back alley deal. I know they glad to see it go. The more comments I made, the ML became cheaper and cheaper. No one was going to buy the car in this condition. They probably brought it from the auction for $300.

I just found a new ball joint and some type of pulley in the arm rest. Something else to add to the mystery of the ML.

#5 ·
Good on you for having a go. When you order your transmission kit get the 13 pin plug bushing. It could be the cause of your Trans problem. You will need a good scanner to read and erase transmission codes. Get the codes read before you do the transmission service in case you need a conductor plate. I would start with a good engine degrease and see were the oil leaks are. Good luck with it I hope it turns out well for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Thanks for the info Matt.

I hope the transmission problem is the shifter. The ML has the P0705 CEL for transmission range sensor and will not shift from Drive to Park unless you shut it off. I do not have any MB specific software. Just VAGCOM for Audi/VW and my Torque OBD2 wireless reader. I will pick up some Carsoft software soon.

#8 ·
You can do it! If you are willing to get your hands dirty, it is all fixable. Your biggest concern out of the chute is the tranny. Hopefully its just the plug and/or conductor plate mentioned above. Super common, but often overlooked by non-mercedes types.

Post your full VIN and I will make you a PDF of your vehicles datacard. Invaluable info.

#9 ·
It's often been said here that there is no thing worse than a cheap Mercedes. In your case, based on the description of problems, you bought a $600 vehicle. It's definitely going to take you several weekends to get this thing in a condition to drive. Plus, you mention rust. Not good but so long as you recognize that rust is a cancer that won't go away.

You need to begin by getting check engine light codes read. Don't throw one dollar at it unless you're sure the repair is needed. Post the codes here so that professionals can help you determine the best course of action.

As for rotors, how deep is the lip? Are they in relatively good shape?

The recommendation to get a filter kit with 13 pin connector for your transmission is a sound one. It would be a first in my book. A close second is get the oil out and change it with new filter. Then you can move on to the other problems.

#11 ·
As for rotors, how deep is the lip? Are they in relatively good shape?
The surface condition of the rotors are decent to almost good. Not worn unevenly or glazed. The lip on the edge of the rotors look 1/4 inch thick, no lie. It looks as if someone just changed the pads since the truck was new. Even the rear rotors have this huge lip. I should put a $100 bill on lips of these rotors. All jokes aside, the brakes are no big deal. I'll order new brakes once the transmission is sorted.

#14 ·
VIN decode

Ident. number (FIN) 4JG1631721A229533
VIN 4JGAB72E61A229533
Baumuster 163172
Sales name ML 430
Order number 0 1 705 69278 (Destination: USA)
Delivery date 13 11 2000
PAINT1 040U BLACK
Interior color 261A LEATHER BLACK
Engine 113942 30 233329
Gearbox 722663 02 411685

040U BLACK
245 ON-BOARD COMPUTER
261A LEATHER BLACK
293 No code designation available
349 No code designation available
357 NAVIGATION-SYSTEM - ADDITIONAL EQUIPMENT
414 ELECTRIC TILT/SLIDE SUNROOF IN GLASS VERSION
461 INSTRUMENT WITH MILES IND. AND ENGLISH LEGEND
494 U.S. VERSION
522 RADIO ICU "ALPINE" USA
524 PAINTWORK - PRESERVATION
551 ANTI-THEFT/ANTI-BREAK-IN WARNING SYSTEM
636 DELETION - WARNING TRIANGLE
723 BAGGAGE COMPARTMENT COVERING
801 AEJ 00/1 R 170 AEJ 99/2
810 SOUND SYSTEM
819 CD CHANGER
840 DARK TINTED GLASS
873 SEAT HEATER FOR LEFT AND RIGHT FRONT SEATS
887 LOCKABLE SAFE

#18 ·
Just to give everyone a quick update.

I purchased a window switch from eBay. Not sure if it will last long but it fixed my problem with front driver and rear passenger windows being stuck in the down position. Car looks 1000x better without plastic trash bags on two of the windows. The cost of the switch was $34.00 shipped.

I also purchased a shifter console from eBay. I tried to find one locally in the salvage yards but these parts were already missing. Tried Craigslist but no one got back to me. Before ordering from eBay, I tried to clean the shifter ribbon connections. They were heavily corroded. Probably from the drivers window being down as it was damp inside when I purchased the car. Anyway, I cleared the engine P0705 code and cleared the transmission code(s); N15 I think. Unplugged the negative battery cable. Installed the part. Reattached the negative battery cable. Insert the key and 'P' shows on the instrument cluster. That is new so I felt good about this. Started the car, backed of the driveway and drove around the block. The car shifted as it should. Small victory for me. The part from eBay was $149.99 shipped and a 60 day warrantee. I am going to register the car tomorrow.

Thank God NJ only has emissions testing. I have like 5 warning lights on but she is running and driving. No CEL.

PS, NJ passed a new rule on 95 and older cars. Effective May 1st, 2016, no emissions testing, no safety check. Just register and drive.

Time to get the 944 on the road.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.