Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

OEM Alarm system.

9K views 27 replies 9 participants last post by  Planethill 
#1 ·
Probably a dumb question, but would my 2005 270cdi be fitted with an OEM alarm system? If yes, how can I verify that one is installed and what would activate it i.e.set it off?

#3 ·
I have the light but it is not blinking when the car is locked with the remote or with the key! Is there a fuse or a relay I should be looking for?

#5 ·
Hello Jim, VIN# as follows:- WDC1631131A554717

I'm starting to think that no anti theft alarm is fitted.

Fuse Nº. 48 20a Alarm horn.........empty slot
Relay Nº. K31 Alarm horn....... empty slot

I put in a 20 amp fuse and borrowed the heated mirror relay P/N 002 542 11 19. (there are several of these relays all with the same P/N and pin layout), but still no alarm or blinking red light.
Also I cannot find a pressure switch that could be activated with the bonnet/hood!

Edit: the indicators do flash three times when the car is locked with the remote.

#9 ·
Thanks all for your help and advice.
The data card does not show that an alarm is fitted which I believe is code 551.
Rob, the car was bought in the UK but it is/was Spanish registered.

Just one more question, would the wiring be in place for the OEM alarm but would just need the ancillaries such as the siren and presumably a black box?

I would have thought that a car badged as 'Special Edition' would qualify to have an alarm fitted :(

#10 ·
Just one more question, would the wiring be in place for the OEM alarm but would just need the ancillaries such as the siren and presumably a black box?
Yes it comes pre-wired.

Additionally, you would need:

1. K31 Alarm Horn Relay.
2. fuses 48, 13 & 22 in place.
3. Trip Computer with Reset/Mode buttons
4. S62, Eng. Hood Sw.
5. Alarm Horn.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w163-m-class/2258026-problem-anti-theft-alarm-2.html#post11212610

Then the AAM would have to be programmed by dealer as "Alarm Present".

Attachments

#13 ·
Thanks again for your help.
One other question, what is the removal process of the overhead module that is attached to the head lining? Mine just has the overhead lights, switch and sensor. I managed to remove the centre plastic part between the lights that has a sensor attached, but I did not want to force or break anything to remove the rest of the module.

#19 · (Edited)
James, that round thing is a microphone. You will need the components from Jim's list. Also after installing the trip computer, you have to turn it on. Check AAM coding options posted by Jim. So turn on Trip Computer, then turn on ATA related parts. Of course after everything is installed.

#21 ·
I think that as MB did not fit an alarm, I'll go for a top quality system such as a Toad which I have fitted to my 1993 SL500.

The only reason for wanting an alarm is that next week we are doing a road trip to England and Scotland. En route I shall be picking up some expensive SCUBA diving gear plus other valuable items that I've been buying on eBay UK that my brother is keeping for me.

Perhaps in the UK I can hire a Rottweiler or a Pit Bull Terrier to stay in the truck to guard the contents, however reading about the UK criminal classes they would be more interested in stealing the dog :)

Thanks again all for your usual invaluable help,
James.

Reactions: CGL
#22 ·
Apologies but the saga continues!

I called a company that fits alarm systems and asked about fitting a Toad Ai606 Thatcham Cat1 alarm system (Viper in the USA). The technician told me that my 2005 ML270cdi was CANBUS and the analogue Toad alarm could not be fitted. Another company said it could. I then found another seller/fitter that was offering a Clifford 330x Canbus alarm, so I'm totally confused.
Is my ML Canbus or not so which type of alarm would be compatible?

James.

#26 ·
I can see having a CANBUS can be an obstacle that some shops would rather avoid when quoting a remote starter system. However, door triggers, lock/unlock and other functions are monitored and executed via the All Activity Module (AAM). The CAN works in conjunction with AAM on some things but not necessarily in control of them.
Installing aftermarket alarm consists of a few critical things such as what would it take to trigger the alarm - opening of the door(s): door trigger wires and/or domelight activation. Glass break trigger? Could be an add-in module to the aftermarket system (or the module comes with it). The list goes on.

#25 ·
No Jim, there is nothing on the overhead console, no fuse 48, no relay K31, no siren/horn and no hood switch so no OEM alarm system.
Apparently my 2005 ML270Cdi is a Canbus system so no analogue alarm such as the Toad Ai606 can be fitted.
I'm still investigating if a Clifford 330x (Viper) Canbus alarm is compatible !!

#27 ·
I just received a message from the Clifford (Viper) technical department in the UK as follows:-

Your vehicle is not CAN BUS. If the chassis Nº. had been WDC164.... instead of WDC163...., there was a 50/50 chance that CAN BUS would have worked.
CAN BUS was fitted as standard in models from 2006 onwards.

So it appears that I can [sic] have an aftermarket analogue system fitted.

#28 ·
Wow, what a dodgy answer. Directed Electronics makes Clifford, Viper, Python and about half a dozen other brands. This shouldn't be guesswork to them. 50/50 based on what exactly? Sheesh!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.