Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Not happy with ignition switch

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  43sqd 
#1 ·
I'm fairly new to the ML430.
My concern is the sloppy feel of the ignition switch.
There is no discernible detents between I and II and the
Start. Also the tension of the return spring while activating
the starter is weak.
I'm used to BMW and they have a definite click and detent.

I have read other posts but still fuzzy about what I need to do.
Is there a separate switch? Is the key tumblers and switch a dealer
only part?
Can I disassemble and clean my switch?

Thank you guys.

#2 ·
Not happy with your ignition switch operation!!

I've just been through the change out of the Ignition switch on my 2005 ML-500 . It was starting too lose the de-tent feel Acc #1 & Run position #2 along with getting harder to turn to the engine Crank position . But The return from Crank position back to #2 run was still ok . My Issues were turning back to Off / remove key from the tumbler. It seem to turn easy enough , But when I removed the key from the tumbler . The warning system interior beeper kept beeping like the key was still in the Tumbler. Even though I had it in my hand or on the work bench. Another thing , the remote locking system would not function and the little signal red light between Low range & fog light would not sequence properly. So I would bump the tumbler area on the column and things would operate properly for 1 turn of the key . Then go back to creating issues . I replace the the switch only , P/N ( 168-545-10-04 ) About a 2 hour job . You have to remove the under dash panel. The turn signal / light switch
( Black ) covers and the small Left & Right steering column covers. Small Hands & strong fingers , small shoulders help . There is a wire harness connector which needs to be remove via pressing 2 small clips inward ( 180 * apart. Wire colors orange (key sense) , Red12V + , White (starter)Pink 12V position #2 , Green ?, Tan position #1 . The tab has a red marker next to it . After you pull the connector off . The push the tabs in a little deeper to release the actual switch it self. Take your time . The new switch fixed my issues & also let me resyc my keys too ! Cheers Patrick T.

#5 ·
My new part has been installed. Once I figured out the pictures, it went well.
The old switch was ratchity and stiff. The new switch is crisp and precise.
I now feel the actual detents and clicks.
I do have one question, would some graphite spray improve the overall
feel of the key action?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.