Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

HELP Ml heavy duty bumpers (winch)

30K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  Clvannoy1 
#1 ·
Hi all im trying to locate the owner of the ML as I know that a couple of years ago there were some CAD drawings going around for the front and rear bumpers on this vehicle which I would love to get a copy of can anybody help Cheers from Wayne in the UK ...

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
I have printed off those very photos and will be building my own set at some point this year. I do not plan on installing a winch, but everything else is really neat. I go off road regularly and the low attack/departure angles of the stock sport bumpers gets in the way long before the truck is actually in trouble. This will solve that problem. Plus a great way to mount my full size spare on the back.

#8 ·
See Post 842 here:

You need to get with Ryan Starks same tread post 886.

#16 · (Edited)
I had to cut off my OEM front metal bumper when I straightened the frame. I bolted on a section of 4" c-channel and it does a great job protecting the bottom of the radiator. It will be the foundation of a minimal setup to hold a winch and skid plate.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

#17 ·
Hello so today I finish the bumpers on my ML500. So my body who made those on the black ML was super busy and because I had a time crunch I made my own with another friend.
By the way the guy who made the ones on the black bumper is set up in Miami @proline4x4.usa

Any ways because I dont have a cnc or plasma cutter so many flat plates was going to be to much work. So I went a different direction here are the results.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Grille
had to cut the front bumper in order to get the most aggressive approach ange
Tire Wheel Vehicle registration plate Car Grille
Cloud Car Sky Wheel Vehicle

Idecide on 12000lb winch cause why not. So hand make a big cradle.

I will post pics of the back bumper shortly. I went with a different concept some may hate some may love.

#19 ·
Just my own experience, but I think the unsupported corner pieces of your bumper are too small for something extended so far from the mounting points, and look like it wouldn’t take much of a hit to bend one into a tire. Then your trip stops right there until you can cut it off. Assuming this “off road” bumper is meant for real off-road use, it should be able to handle pushing deadfall and small trees away from the headlights.

Personally I’d add some more structure below or behind that single thin tube on each side, but also build in some protection for the headlights and use that opportunity to build in some triangulation in the whole comer structure to add a lot of strength.

Just my feedback, speaking as an automotive structure test engineer but also as a guy who’s built a few off-road bumpers and learned what survived and what didn’t. I’m interested in this build since I’ll be building bumpers for my ML as well in the near future. Hope that helps.

#20 ·
The bumper has a cross bar that goes underneath and the top is 2. 1 1/2 inch tubing on each side. I wiegh close to 300 and my and my buddy did pull ups on the front and zero flex. As for the corners the seem sturdy enough if someone get there it probably hit other stuff. I thought about doubling the tubing but thought it would look weird. My main concern was winch skid plate and approach angle.
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Automotive parking light Tire Car Wheel Vehicle

I think I'm going blast the ML bumper and color match. I would like to eventually paint. But if I paint it. It would go over 10k and the car is ment to be a sub 10k overland build.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.