Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

ML in heavy snow

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Fenalaar 
#1 ·
I was tidying up the hard drive a bit, and found these from a few years back. The pictures are from 26.3.2011, and all the snow fell during the night. The night picture is from the middle of the night in a residential street, and the other two are from the driveways of residential blocks. The "trough" in the snow is from my car...

Note that you shouldn't attempt this if it is heavy, wet snow. If the snow is compact enough, you'll be stuck with no ground pressure on the wheels, and no traction...

Johan-Kr

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
As long as you don't get enough heavy snow compacted under the car to loos ground pressure. I've gotten stuck with even a G-class that way. No help then, but either a shovel or a towing rope :)

On that day, in some places, I had snow coming over the bonnet...

I stick to studded tires with a nordic rubber mix. Non-studded winter tires are all well and good, but on wet ice, only studded tires or chains (and keeping your speed down and a good distance to the guy in front) will do...

Johan-Kr

#5 ·
Outlawing studs my not be all that smart for road safety. Studless tires have a tendency to polish packed snow and ice. You need a bcertain percentage of studded tires or chains to tough up the surface a little.

A studded tire fee may be the way to control the percentage a bit.

Johan-Kr

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.