Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Power steering hose dilemma - Recall is performed by the dealer only once?

3K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  banilla16 
#1 ·
Power steering hose was replaced by local MB dealer after the revision of safety recall in 2008. I didn't have a problem for years but the hose popped yesterday at the connection to the radiator. Dealer and MB customer service said the recall repairs are performed ONCE at no charge. Subsequent failures of the same item are responsibility of the owner. Is there anything I can do?

Car is stranded at work. Temp is 2 degrees outside and I tried to tighten the screw but it popped again as soon as I turned on the engine on. Why is this happening to me on the coldest day of the year?

#2 ·
Perfect example of MB OE parts that are subject to fail just like aftermarket parts. Some purist's here say to ONLY use OE parts, but I disagree. Not saying to use "cheap" knock off parts, but there are alternatives to OE made by well known aftermarket parts companies. Sorry to hear you had a problem on such a cold day. Keep an open mind when choosing a replacement part for your car. Good luck!

#7 · (Edited)
The reason it keeps popping off now is because it is covered in oil. Get some brake cleaner, and clean the nipple well. Try to shake what oil you can out of the hose, wipe off all you can, then do the same with the brake cleaner on the hose end. Not good for the hose I Know, but it will allow you to get the hose back on so it will STAY on so you can drive it home. Refill, and purge properly if you can. If not, be prepared to by a new reservoir as you'll blow out the mesh.

Then later, make sure you have the updated clamp. It should NOT be a typical "worm gear" clamp, but rather a smooth one you use a socket wrench on. Some also add a dab of thread locker to help "glue" the hose to the nipple. I found that a good cleaning and the updated clamp did wonders for mine.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks Jim and Planethill. Ladies at NHTSA and MB said the same thing. All recalls are performed only once by the manufacturer. Then it's the owners responsibility. I am just relaying what I heard today.

Since the car was in a (height 6'10") garage, it could not be loaded on a flatbed truck. Nice gentlemen from AAA had more tools than I did and was able tighten the clamp. So I took her home driving like a grandma. Ordered the replacement hose + clamp from MBoemparts.com. Part#163-460-51-24

I had mostly forgotten about this issue since 2009. I should have tighten the clamp before the winter arrived. Planethill, you are correct that instructions emphasize the nipple must be dry before inserting the hose. I am expecting the right type of clamp to come together with the new hose.

Folks at work asking why am I insisting on keeping this old truck.

#4 · (Edited)
The reason it keeps popping off now is because it is covered in oil. Get some brake cleaner, and clean the nipple well. Try to shake what oil you can out of the hose, wipe off all you can, then do the same with the brake cleaner on the hose end. Not good for the hose I Know, but it will allow you to get the hose back on so it will STAY on so you can drive it home. Refill, and purge properly if you can. If not, be prepared to buy a new reservoir as you'll blow out the mesh screen.

Then later, make sure you have the updated clamp. It should NOT be a typical "worm gear" clamp, but rather a smooth one you use a socket wrench on. Some also add a dab of thread locker to help "glue" the hose to the nipple. I found that a good cleaning and the updated clamp did wonders for mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#5 ·
I am running return URO PS hose for 2.5 years now and no issues. I know URO is crapped on, but I decided to give a try, especially since I ordered it from FCPEuro which has true lifetime warranty on everything they sell.

High pressure one is made by REIN and also has been almost 3 years, no issues.

#8 ·
Merzatt,

I see you also have a Porsche Cayman in the stable..that's a very nice combination !

IIRC, there is room for two clamps on that nipple. Nice to have a little insurance. Secret is a new hose, the proper clamp or clamps and do not overtighten. I need to recheck mine but have had no problems since I replaced it over ten years ago...

#9 ·
Springfever, that's a good idea too. I got 3 tips so far: radiator nipple must be bone dry before inserting the new hose, double clamp the connection and threadlocker it. Like Jim said, nipple is not flared. We need to try other ways to keep it in place.

#17 ·
Our 99 got three visits to the dealer under the 2 recalls and then the third time it was less than one year and the hose popped off.
Turns out on the second visit they only replaced the clamp because they were out of hoses. I was just bit ticked off seeing as this is a safety issue.

#19 ·
It was pretty pathetic. To top it off the lazy tech marked one on the repair ticket. Back then I would regularly play tennis with the service director and of course I made mention of it. I also told the MB service manager and the service writers that I did want that tech working on my cars. That tech was fired a few months later. He now manages a Goodyear in the suburbs.
Since then the I have been going to the competing dealer when I need dealer work because we moved and several of the people I worked with had starting working at the competing dealer.

#20 ·
Just to give you guys an update.... over a month since replacing the hose and clamps and haven't had an issue since. I took the advise and used 2 clamps and some superglue to secure everything.

Not surprised about the dealer... we had major issues with ours during warranty work. Even now the local dealer was quoting me over 500 for this fix.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.