Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Edmunds - Long Term Test Posted...

1K views 12 replies 0 participants last post by  Orlando 
G
#1 ·
Their gas mileage isn't anywhere near what I get on my ML430. I'll leave the rest of the comments up to you.

G
#2 ·
A few mistakes...

They obviously didn't read the owner's manual. The auto locking feature is present and can easily be activated.<br> <br> There is an in-dash CD player option, and even the navigation system drive can play audio CDs when not in use with the map CD.<br> <br> As for the recirculation feature, the manual states that it is to 'temporarily reduce the entry of annoying odours or dust into the vehicle's interior', which is why it lets fresh air in after 30 mins (so that the cabin isn't stuffy, and so that the windows don't fog up).

G
#3 ·
Lack of knowledge is a dangerous thing ...

The recirculation thing is just goofy on the writers part. I see it as a health issue on the basis that if recirculation remains on you can introduce bad gasses and bacterial counts. Any manufacturer’s book will tell you not to leave it on but Mercedes takes it a step further so that you don’t have to remember. <br> <br> Seat memory would be nice in all seats but that just doesn’t happen. If you want it pay for it. <br> <br> Dual zone climate control is in my ML but rather than left and right side MB chose front and back. Personally I like this since there usually is a true climate zone difference between the front and back and not left to right side. I also find my ML automatic climate control to be very good at maintaining a all around comfortable environment all year round.<br> <br> Sounds to me like these guy’s have spent to much time breathing bad air to know what real issues are.<br>

G
#5 ·
One has to wonder ...

How they drive their vehicles. I get a better gas consumption on our 500 and we do not drive light footed. <br> <br> Fluff and Drivel sounds about right.<br> <br>

G
#6 ·
Don't like the 30min recycle disable either

I wouldn't like to have it disable on me while sitting in traffic in the Callahan tunnel (runs under Boston Harbor to the airport).<br> <br> Rest of article just shows how bright the drivers are...they don't bother reading the manual and then gripe that features that are in option packages don't even exist.<br> <br> Why is it that Mercedes' stupid PR department invites writers like that instead of writers for MB enthusiast sites to their events and/or lets them have extended test drives of PR vehicles. They really should take a page out of Audi/VW's book and treat MB web sites like first class press; just check out audiworld.com or vwvortex.com to see what I mean. They get invited to events on new vehicles and even driver training events put on by Audi and VW. This probably belongs in a separate thread ;-)<br>

G
#7 ·
They're not stupid they just live in cold climates

For vehicles that stay in cold, heater dominated climates electronic manipulation of the recirculate control might make sense. The product designers have no clue that in hot weather climates most vehicles don't have enough capacity to cool at 100F with fresh air turned on. I too long for the days before microprocessor assist when switches stayed put. MB should at least put in some programming so that the feature could be defeated.

G
#8 ·
Read Drew's responce ...

I believe he says that it can be. Read your book. Though I haven't tested it but apparently the cooling capability of the MY02 is significantly better than prior models. As such I would say the MB is listening.<br> <br>

G
#9 ·
Thank goodness I have all of you as a counterpoint to the 'expert' reviews. I'm about to buy an ML320, and could easily have been scared away. If I keep reading car reviews, I will never find a car!

G
#10 ·
The thing to remember ...

This is a truck and a real SUV not a SAV or a SUV wanabe! It will drive like a truck and there are some flaws along the way. All in all though it is what it claims to be! More often then not the criticism from reviews come from people that do not recognise this and/or don’t spend the time to read the manuals. Further more their take on long term test is that there are a lot of different people driving it across a spread of time. How about one of them owning it for a year, and let it be someone that really will use the utility side of it.

G
#11 ·
The 2002 AC works well in hot weather so far

I'll admit it's only just starting to warm up here (mid 90's), but so far the AC in my ML is cold RIGHT NOW when you start the car. No longer than 20 seconds. I leave the temp set to 72 and the system on full auto. We shall see how it does when the temp gets up into the 110's. At that temp my old vehicle (4Runner) did not do well even with manual recirculation. I have high hopes for the ML so far.

G
#12 ·
Yes, the '02's is better...

MB increased the size of the A/C system for '02 partly to deal with the previous complaints the Death Valley owners (for example) that the stock A/C system wasn't quick enough to cool down the interior, and partly to compensate for the new auto rear climate control zone.

G
#13 ·
After thinking about purchasing an ML since 1999, I finally took the plunge this year and purchased a 2002 ML-320. Most of the responses above have addressed well the shortcommings in this review. Edmunds' objections are at best subjective and, other than the two service visits, are not an issue at all to me. Besides, there is no perfect car from either a feature or reliability perspective. It is true that the MB and BMW do charge relatively high prices for optional 'creature comforts' that other manufacturers may include as standard equipment, but they also offer unsurpassed active and passive saftey and performance features at no charge. As far as mileage, driving in the Bay Area my worst mileage has been about 15 mpg and the best has been about 20.4 mpg.<br>
<br>
There are a lot of choices out there, but I look forward to driving the ML everytime and would definitely purchase it again. Good luck in your decision.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.