Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

My ML320 First Time at Shop!

787 views 7 replies 0 participants last post by  Rene 
G
#1 ·
The belt guide at the engine shaft apparently is broken.<br> <br> I heard a strange noise and when opened the hood found the belt running erratically at the shaft plastic!!! guide. The belt was not broken yet. Dealer picked up and they said if it is the shaft cover, the part is $70. Will see on Monday. I will let you know guys.<br> <br> This is the first time ever I have a problem with my '99 ML320, just after warranty expired. 52,000 miles on the clock.

G
#3 ·
Do they expect you to pay that? I would think that they would do a goodwill thing since your warranty just expired. These engines have very few problems so it seems to me that your case is rather atypical unfortunately.<br> <br> Good luck!

G
#4 ·
Hey Drew,<br> <br> I will try make the story short so that it may good to know for others in the forum:<br> <br> I made my research and the part costs $70 at the dealer. After dealer giving me a quote of $2,800, they said that they will call MBUSA to see what they can do. They said that they have experience in this cases where MB will pay for the part, so I will pay only $1,700 labor. They said they will call me back this afternoon and asked me not to do anything until they talk to MBUSA and call me back.<br> <br> In the mean while I called an MB independent, that uses only MB parts I I was told. He immediately recognized the problem in detail (all this over the phone). He said this is a piece of rubber on the cam shaft pulley that when comes off it will developped the exact symptoms and noise I later described to him. Note: I did not gave him any hint before he started talking, I only said that the belt was not running correct, and that there was a strange noise. Looks to me that 1) it is a common problem, 2) the guy knows what he is doing (at least that is my ghess).<br> <br> Anyways, he said the part is $90.00 plus 1 hour labor at $120.00. It will be done same day.<br> <br> So, I am picking up the car on a tow on the next few minutes, and will advise on results.<br> <br> DO NOT USE MB DEALER OF MIAMI.<br> <br> Rene

G
#6 ·
END OF STORY!!!!!!!!!

Guys,<br> <br> End of story:<br> <br> I hired a tow to go and pick up the car at the dealer. When I've got to the dealer, they now said that MB will pay for the repair 100%. No charge at all!!!!!!!! Even being out of warranty........<br> <br> The service advisor wanted to pull my hair with the $2,800 for a part and labor repair of $190.00 I told him so (I was really hot), he said that because I was a new customer to them and has spend no money on them at all, I was not taken as their regular customer. This was an emergency, the car cannot be driven, and MB road side assistance will take the car to the nearest dealer (my regular diealer is about 50 miles away). Sooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!<br> <br> Morale:<br> <br> Spend some excess money at your dealer, make friends with your service advisor, and hope that he/she is still there when you have a ridiculous $2,800/$190 issue. Looks like service advisors get commision!!!!!!!!<br> <br> In my opinion, they will cheat on their regulars anyways.....<br> <br> 2. In my opinion this was covered 100% out of warranty because it is a known problems. Keep an eye on the cam shaft pulley.<br> <br> 3. It is a shame that one of the best cars in the market can use dealers like this.<br> <br> Good luck guys,<br> <br> Rene<br> 1999 ML320, 52K<br> <br> DO NOT USE MB MIAMI DEALER<br> <br> In South Florida use instead Pompano Beach Dealer (which is my regular dealer and it's been great in and out of warranty), or Fort Lauderdale MB Dealer.<br> <br> We should not give any business to people like this, which gives a real bad name to an excellent car.

G
#7 ·
Final Repair Report

Drew, just for your info, this is what the dealer looks like:<br> <br> 1 TIMING CASE<br> 1 OIL PAN<br> 1 VIBRATION AB<br> 1 BELT TIGHTENER<br> 1 V-BELT<br> 1 SCREW PLUG<br> 1 RING, GENERAL<br> 1 EXPANSION PL<br> 1 GASKET<br> 2 SEAL RING<br> 1 GASKET<br> 1 GASKET<br> 1 GASKET<br> 2 SEALING COMP<br> 1 ANTI-FREEZE<br> 1 GASKET<br> TIMING CHAIN COVER, REPL.<br> OIL CHANGE<br> <br> There was no charge at 52,000 miles. Then I've got (General ST Grabber) new tires and alignment for $664.<br> <br> If the above is what they really did, and it was necessary, then I retract everything I said before and change the rating to a 5 STAR service.<br> <br> Rene

G
#8 ·
Re: Final Repair Report

By the way,<br> <br> The part originating the problem, cam shaft pulley, is a totally different design.<br> <br> The car runs better than new now. I don't know what all of this has to do with running much better though. The engine runs much smoother now.<br> <br> Rene

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.