Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Anyone Rebuilt a Steering Rack?

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  mattml430 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

My Australian (RHD) 2001 ML 270 CDI has a problem with the power steering. As I corner or otherwise put any pressure on the steering, to counter road camber for instance, there is a constant pulse back and forth. It feels like the steering assistance pressure is being increased and reduced every second or so. I don't think this is an issue with the pump. I think it is an internal issue with the valves in the rack and pinion. Has anyone tried one of the rebuild kits for these? Being in Australia the cost to buy a replacement will be astronomical. For instance I just got Airmatic parts for my ML500 shipped over for a quarter of the local cost even with our terrible exchange rate at the moment :laugh

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John

#2 · (Edited)
Hi John
I put a full kit through mine a view years ago and it made no difference to it what so ever I believe the problem lies in the valving, in tower part of the rack and the kit has nothing for that. And I don't think there is anything you can do with that part of the rack as far as rebuilding it. I got a good second hand one for mine for about $350 and it fixed the problem.

#3 ·
Thanks Matt. That's a pain. I'll have to try to track a decent second hand one down up here in Brisbane. I always feel there's the risk that I'm just going to replace the part with a second hand one with the same issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.