Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Radio Antenna Coax Source

3K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Cinnasnootzer 
#1 ·
What type of coax cable is used in ML500 to run the connection from the head unit to the back hatch?

I have not been able to find one for sale and apparently need to make one as I believe the existing has issues.

Google turns up mostly GPS antenna information, auto parts sources do not stock the actual coax from what I can find. I don't see any printing on the actual cable....

Found these types : RG-6, RG-8, RG-11, RG-58 and RG-59 as an example. Not sure if these are just for TV / Satellite cable or what. The one in the ML is clearly thinner than what I saw at the store. The connectors are of course different.

Searched 15 parts supply sites, and some car audio sites....no dice.
Any help is appreciated.

#3 ·
Thanks much. I have searched for it and looked on youtube but have not found a part number or any actual specific model type. The cable is free of any markings on it as well.

When I lift the hatch the reception improves quite a bit. Caused by a fault in the coax up by the hinge where it enters the top of the truck OR the positioning of the antenna in the window at that angle improves reception.

Went to the Best Buy audio install center and the two guys there were of no help in how to get the head unit out, how to remove the lower dash and console or how to source a replacement coax.

I'll take a look at the link you attached when I get home this evening. Thanks again

#5 ·
Thanks for sticking with this.....appreciate it.

Yes, I found the above in the archives here and removed the cover boot and the actual cable looks fine. That does not rule out some damage to the internal carrier wire from metal fatigue of the hatch opening and closing.

The actual coax and connector look like one I found on ebay that is from the UK. Apparently it is used in European car antenna hookups.

THanks again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.