Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

water pump bolt torque

20K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  43sqd 
#1 ·
hey all, putting a water pump in wife's 2000 ML320 (6 cyl) and I wanted to verify torque on the bolts. I found something that said threads not pretapped were M6/14NM, M8/35NM and then pretapped was M6/10NM, M8/25NM. are these numbers correct? since the bolts have been run in from the previous pump all my bolt holes are considered pretapped correct? never done a water pump with self tapping bolts before, thanks for your help!

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum.
Use the pretapped value's. Put the new pump next to you & place each removed bolt into the same hole of the new pump. After removing the old pump shift the bolts from the new pump to old pump holes. Fit the new pump & place the bolts into the same holes they came out from. Do not mix the bolts/holes. Use the correct torque & you will be good to go.

#4 ·
Wire wheel every bolt to remove rust and debris.

Thread every bolt by hand and then tighten bolts to a stop by staggering them as shown in the example. working from the inside ones to outer ones. Then tighten them with the torque wrench using the same pattern.

Not every bolt is numbered in the diagram but it is just there to show you how to do it.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.