Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

99 ML320 oil light on but it's full.

7K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  DrX 
#1 ·
Changed the oil in my daughters ML320 today. It was full to begin with. After changing it and carefully measuring 8.5 qts. of Mobil 1 0-40, it was on when she started it to go home. She said it had been coming on and sometimes flickering. No leaks anywhere. Would this be a sender or sensor?

#3 ·
I haven't checked in the owners manual but is the oil light for level or pressure? Most oil lights on other cars are to indicate low oil pressure, you would have to be pretty low on oil for the pump to be sucking air and causing low oil pressure.

#9 ·
Thanks to johnma and others. It will probably never be fixed now that I have been educated. The car runs great and is in excellent shape. We got it from the original owner who maintained it very well. Now has 170,000mi. on it. Uses a quart and a half of oil about every 7k miles. No leaks.

#10 ·
I would disagree to leave the oil sensor in a none working condition for long period knowing that its bad. The sensor is the last line of defense in case there is a major leak (ie, crack oil pan while driving). Give you seconds of reaction time to pull over and shutdown the engine. Without the proper sensor to warn the driver, you can be dry and completely destory the engine.

my 2 cents.

JM

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.