Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Leak possibly transmission fluid?

3K views 25 replies 8 participants last post by  Merzatt 
#1 ·
There is a puddle under my 1999 ML430 that looks like oil and it seems to be coming from a rectangular shaped box that is covered in fluid located directly under the passenger side footwell. It isn't the oil pan it is coming from the other one. Any ideas to what it could be?

#5 ·
If it has been >40k miles since the last service, change of the fluid is past due. I would drop the pan and replace gasket and filter. It may also be a gasket leak. Otherwise just change the connector. Some fluid may come out. Lift the front of the vehicle.

#6 ·
If the fluid is reddish, it's been changed recently. Otherwise it would be black.

You need to drain the pan before you remove the connector. Even if you raise the front, there could easily be 2-3 quarts of fluid above the connector level, which will come gushing out when you remove it.

#14 ·
boss, my suggestion, you cannot do this kind of operation without discipline, eg using rubber ruler. You should follow the procedures if you don't want to damage the AT. Please take a look to the threads regarding the AT oli dipstick and follow instructions. I don't know if there is a low level sensor in the AT oil pan, I don't want to discover myself :)

You can use Fuchs Titan 3353 that is cheaper and is MB approved for the old ATs..

PS:
The dipstick is built in order to measure the oil level cold and hot, at your choice.

G.

#17 ·
You should definitely invest in a dipstick. It's the only way to do it right.

I used Valvoline MaxLife ATF, despite some recommendations, it's been like 50k miles so far, and I have not had any issues. I plan on changing it soon.

You bought a 3rd ML?

#18 ·
Gentlemen, this member lives in Holyoke, Ma. and it is pronounced Whole-yoke, but I do not believe he has one, or his yoke is either cracked or his yoke is not surrounded by albumen.

This member has generated hundreds and hundreds of posts filled with nonsensical questions and his purpose is nothing more than to waste everyone's time and effort.

#22 ·
Instructions are here, on the forum. Use the search function.
You cant be spoon fed all the time.

Member since 2011 & you don't know were to put the dipstick?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.