Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Current scanner recommendations

13K views 31 replies 12 participants last post by  43sqd 
#1 ·
I searched the forums and found some recent posts on Android based scanners but I don't use a tablet or laptop. Any current recommendations on a stand alone unit?

Looking to buy one as I plan on keeping the truck. Right now I need to diagnose an intermittent BAS light.

The easier on the budget, the better.

Thanks!
Steve

#5 · (Edited)
I am also in the search of getting a good scanner that can scan most MB modules, along with ability to scan domestic and Japanese brands.

Foxwell NT622 seems to be specifically targeting Euro brands, am I right?
So Autel MD802 seems like a better choice for my needs.
With that being said, when I search for Autel MD802 on Amazon, I get few choices, some are cheaper.
I assume you are talking about $259 one?

Attachments

#7 ·
I use one of those Android based scanners. $5 for the program and $10 for the dongle. Even with the cost of a cheap tablet you are less than most stand alones. The one Noodles listed is better. Not sure if it's worth the money as I don't own one - but the android versions are only good for reading and clearing engine codes. No trans or BAS/ESP codes can be cleared.

#8 ·
Reading bit more, it seems that Foxwell is bit better than Autel.

Has anyone played with Foxwell NT414? Seems like it covers all vehicles, and does 4 systems

Foxwell NT414 Vehicle Coverage:
America: Chrysler, Ford, GM.
Asian: Acura, AU Ford (For Australian Market Only), Daewoo, Honda, Holden (For Australian Market Only), Hyundai, Infiniti, Isuzu, Kia, Lexus, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Perodua (For Malaysian Market Only), Proton (For Malaysian Market Only), Scion, Subaru, Suzuki, Toyota.
European: Abarth, Alfa-Romeo, Audi,BMW, Bugatti, Bentley, Citroen, Dacia, EU Ford, Fiat, Jaguar, Lancia, Land Rover, Maserati, Maybach, Mercedes Benz, Mini, Opel, Peugeot, Porsche, Renault, Saab, Seat, Skoda, Smart, Sprinter, Vauxhall, Volvo, VW.
The new NT414 is an all Makes scan tool which is delicately designed for pros and enthusiasts to pinpoint engine, transmission, ABS and airbag faults.

#9 ·
If you want ALL makes & ALL Systems you should get Foxwell NT 624 or NT644. 624 hasn't got EPB & Oil reset functions. For a DIYer 624 is more then enough. For a garage one would need EPB & Oil reset, so I would advice NT644. If you want European only & All System , then go for NT 622.
I own NT644 & it is a great tool. I have scanned numerous cars & it does what it says. Most importantly it speaks fluently MB language......... Very happy with it.
Forget NT414. That is 4 systems only.

#10 · (Edited)
Thanks for the feedback.

I ended up ordering Autel MD802 from this link [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Autel-MD802-MaxiDiag-Elite-Scan/dp/B0090B7M2O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438197247&sr=8-1&keywords=autel+md802"]Amazon.com: Autel MD802 MaxiDiag Elite Scan Tool: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41g37HZzkaL.@@AMEPARAM@@41g37HZzkaL[/ame]

Description shows that it does all modules and all cars and reviews/feedback confirms it. I am not sure why other Autel MD802's are priced 259+. Either way, if it's not what it's being advertised, I'll can always send it back to Amazon

#16 ·
Ok so iCarsoft is out... question about the Foxwell scanner do any scan ABS codes for American Autos and MBs?
Plan on keeping my ML350 till the wheels fall off, provided I cannot put them back on...
But would like to use the scanner on the wifes 2000 Pontiac GTP, Super Charged, has an ABS light on now.

Thanks

#22 ·
It scanned all four. It even picked up two previously stored codes I recently fixed (p0105 and p0400). I cleared them with the new toy and rescanned and they were gone.

Now I just need to fix my C code issues and address my aux water pump/ebox.

I haven't scratched the surface of what this thing can do. I even went into live mode and saw information on various things.

Two thumbs up so far!

Steve

#27 · (Edited)
RE

Croat

I hope to be ordering the Autel MD802 maxidiag elite scanner to
Question , is all you need for the ML is the OBDII cable or do you need to order the OBD OBD2 16 Pin Connector Diagnostic Adapter for BENZ 38 Pin ?

from what i can tell from Amazon only the usp computer cable comes with the scanner the OBDII cable is separate for 8 bucks ?

Thank you !

here are the 2 cables in question

http://www.ebay.com/itm/38Pin-to-16...hash=item27f2fc8eae&item=171580362414&vxp=mtr

C N B

#24 ·
Hey Croat,

I'm a newbie to all of this. It may handle "modules" but I'm unsure as to what they are. I quickly went for what I could understand (scanning) and saw the codes (stored ones).

I'm happy this unit will erase stored codes.

It also has a live function that will show information on what you're looking at. I thought that was cool. Might be nice to drive around with it on and look at different functions.

There is a way to save all the data too but I haven't gotten that far. I have a lot to learn.

Steve

#25 ·
Following the Amazon link, the write up says it supports test modes. Can you use it to cycle the ABS controller for system bleeding? Some vehicles require ABS module cycling to flush fluid and bleed the system.

I think it is time to upgrade from my low end code reader. Although it has paid for itself several times.

#26 ·
I also purchased the Autel MD802 scanner recently, and used the attached chart beforehand to understand its capabilities. It does everything I want from it.

(the 2 page attachment is the W163 part only of a much larger document for a wider range of cars)

Attachments

#29 · (Edited)
The scanner came with just one connector, which is standard OBD2 connector.

I can also confirm that it scans all modules on w163, including radio. When I scanned radio, display showed TEST/DIAGNOSIS messages. Pretty cool.
I also confirmed it's ability of scanning all modules, incl TPMS on 08 Acura. I am talking about real time tire pressure data from each sensor, and such.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.