Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Headlights busted. Can't drive at night.

5K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Fenalaar 
#1 · (Edited)
I am really frustrated with myself for breaking something and with MB for using such cheap plastic parts for critical components. I have factory bi-xenons and they were aimed too low so I adjusted them. Long story short, I ended up breaking the arms connecting the auto-leveling motor to the inner assembly on BOTH headlamps. This arm holds the base of the assembly into place. Without it, the assembly dangles from the upper ball-and-socket "hinges."

Headlamp assembly with motor (ball socket that connects arm/motor to inner-assembly outlined in green)

Headlamp assembly without motor

The part broke in two places (see picture) so I used plastic 2-part epoxy to glue the parts back together. They seem sturdy after several hours of drying, but this doesn't seem like a safe long-term solution.

Broken part

Part glued back together (with paperclip reinforcements! :D)

The headlights are no longer steady without this part and cannot be adjusted. Has anyone else experienced this problem? If so, what did you do to resolve it? Instead of buying new motors, I would rather buy the part that comes on the non-xenon headlamps that keep the inner-assembly in place (see picture--outlined in red). Does anyone have a part number for this?

See less See more
#3 ·
#4 ·
The epoxy held up for a while but just broke again last night. Can anyone PLEASE post the part number of the item circled in red in my previous post? Not sure what else to do.

I don't want to purchase another self-leveling motor but thanks for the link. I just want the standard non-leveling "support arm" as outlined in red. The part I need comes on the non-bi-xenon projector headlamps.

#7 ·
I have a file photo of the auto-levelling motor which shows as Hella 007-457-01.

Attachments

#9 ·
A bit like my workaround to the missing linkage from the xenon headlight ride height sensor on the front of my ML55 - see first photo. From memory MB wanted about $300 for this linkage and so I made one for about $5.

Other two photos show more of the levelling motor the OP needs to repair ... or replace - for info.

Attachments

#10 ·
Finally fixed the broken part yesterday! It took a while to find the right hardware, but it's an easy DIY if this ever happens to anyone.

You'll need:
- M6-1.0 x 50mm hex bolts (2x/Home Depot)
- M6-1.0 hex nuts (2x/Home Depot)
- 1/4" washers (4x/any hardware store)
- 1" Colonial Finial 1/4-27 thread brass finishers (2x/Ace Hardware)

Total cost: ~$6

Instructions:
1) Remove headlight level motor from headlight housing and remove white plastic "socket" which you will need to keep
2) Remove rear plastic cover of motor (carefully as the plastic clips are fragile)
3) Pop out electrical components
4) Remove long white plastic piece in center of black gear
5) Unscrew and remove black gear
6) Place 1/4" washer over M6 hex bolt
7) Insert bolt through hole where gear was located (insert from inside of the assembly)
8) Place another 1/4" washer over bolt where it protrudes from assembly
9) Place hex nut over bolt and tighten
10) Screw brass finisher onto tip of bolt and tighten as much as possible (put glue in brass finisher if it isn't tight enough)
11) Reassemble headlight leveling module and adjust headlight accordingly

Of course this will destroy the leveling motor's functionality, but if you don't care about the leveling and your little plastic "arm" coming out of the assembly broke, this is a cheap and easy solution. Picture of finished repair is attached.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.