Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

ML 55 AMG TIRES - Opinions Please

2K views 21 replies 0 participants last post by  JimG 
G
#1 ·
I currently have Yokohama AVS 285/50-18 that are unbearably noisy. I'm ready to replace them. Does anyone have a recommendation for a less noisy tire?

G
#7 ·
Re: I have new Conti's

Thanks for the reply. The Dunlops are original equipment. I purchased my ML 55 used and the Dunlops were shot (21,000 miles). Replaced with the Yokohama AV, but regret the decision because of noise. They're getting worse as they wear.

G
#9 ·

Yeah, the noise issue is also the same for the Pirelli Scorpion tires apparently, so don't purchase those either. It seems that the Dunlop SP9000s are expensive, but good.

G
#10 ·

<ul><hr><i>Originally posted by Drew</i><br><br><b>Yeah, the noise issue is also the same for the Pirelli Scorpion tires apparently, so don't purchase those either. It seems that the Dunlop SP9000s are expensive, but good.</b><hr></ul><br><br> Have you heard anything about the Nitto NT-404?

G
#13 ·
I have only heard OF them...

However, I don't know anyone who has actually tried them out. Most people tend to go with Bridgestone, Yokohama, or Dunlop. Another choice is the Michelin Diamaris (which some of the BMW X5s have). They're apparently excellent, but also quite expensive.

G
#15 ·
Re: Jim, I dared to be different. I just put........

Falken 285/60/18 STZ-04s on mine. Yes, it has a higher profile and looks quite awesome in my opinion. The tires are very smooth riding and quiet. Several posts down I have posted a couple of pics. Little known brand but I did alot of checking and they make a good product. Check them out.

G
#17 ·
What are the best tires for ML55 anyway???

Since I will use my ML mostly on-road, which tires will give it the best performance? I don´t care for noise or looks. I´m only interested in performance.<br> <br> Any suggestions?

G
#19 ·
I put NT404s on ML500 with ML55 AMG wheels about 2 months ago.

'Extremely' happy with them so far - only M&S rated tire in 285/50VR18 size, comfortable, quite (only 1.5K miles so far) and only about $160/tire installed. The only 2 other tires to consider in this size are Scorpion Zeros - I think they have M&S stamped on them, but are not realy good in snow and my research showed my not any better than Nitto's (even if it has a louder brand name); and Sport 9000, your OEM - summer only not M&S I needed, exellent tire - have it on most my other cars - but IMO not the best tire for an SUV, even ML55 - its a truck, not S55/CL55.

G
#20 ·
Do you happen to have any pics of the tires on your ML?

Particularly of the tread pattern and how the sidewall looks mounted on the rim? From the website the tread pattern looks really complicated, but if they are quiet and they handle the road ok I'll give the Nitto's a closer look.

G
#21 ·
Re: SP9000's are street hi-performance tires and they are quiet

Hi all, new here, and what a site!!! I had the 9k's on my ML55 when I bought it with about 20kmiles, I replaced them at about 27kmiles with Goodyear Eagle F-1's. Very quiet, and very sticky:) Try them out next set, you wont be dissappointed.<br> Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.