Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

BAS/ESP Light on...Help!

8K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  scottyml430 
G
#1 ·
Checked the book and they mention it comes on if battery is below 10 volts. Been on for 3 days. Any advice would be appreciated before I attempt a visit to the dealer. Thanks

G
#3 ·
You can try to reset it...

The procedure is listed in the owner's manual but you can reset the system by starting the engine, and turning the steering wheel full lock from one side, to full lock on the other side. Try that and see if it goes off; the warning lamp may illuminate if the battery is disconnected.<br> <br> If it doesn't work, you may want to visit your dealer. I'm going to guess that it's your steering angle sensor. I have hear this happen to two owners over the years.

G
#6 ·
I wouldn't bother...

Stop by your dealer if you can, and show it to them. They may be able to squeeze you in. I think that it's likely a switch problem. Mine came on once and then went off after starting (and didn't show up again). They ended up replacing the a switch and no lights since.

G
#7 ·
Cleaning up my dealer work order and....

I found the my work order when my BAS/ESP lit up<br> They replace two things.<br> Here are the parts #<br> 001-545-31-09 Switch<br> 163-542-06-18 Sender 209947<br> Power brake switch.<br> Try to tell that to your SA.

#10 ·
the lock turn right and left work for me thanks

I left my lights on the other day. i must have been in dream land again. so you know the battery went dead. i charge the battery and got the car running again. i just kept geeting the BAS/ESP lights. i thought i mess up the electric system with the charger and i'll be spending out some money now. but thanks to this site everything is fine now. thanks a million.

#17 ·
Same light came on in our 2000 ML430 this morning!

I will:
1) Check the brake fluid
2) Try turning the truck off and moving the steering wheel from lock to lock, etc.

But it sounds like there are many problems that could trigger this light.

What does BAS ESP stand for? Isn't the ESP (electronic stability program)?

Any more help on this warning light would be appreciated!

#20 ·
Drew said:
The procedure is listed in the owner's manual but you can reset the system by starting the engine, and turning the steering wheel full lock from one side, to full lock on the other side. Try that and see if it goes off; the warning lamp may illuminate if the battery is disconnected.<br> <br> If it doesn't work, you may want to visit your dealer. I'm going to guess that it's your steering angle sensor. I have hear this happen to two owners over the years.
Dang, man, you're alive afterall. Where you been??? Is that Drew the Mod?

#21 ·
Drew said:
Stop by your dealer if you can, and show it to them. They may be able to squeeze you in. I think that it's likely a switch problem. Mine came on once and then went off after starting (and didn't show up again). They ended up replacing the a switch and no lights since.
I agree. I've had this a few times with my E, my 320 and my 500. Sometimes is the ABS/ESP/BAS, sometimes not the ESP and sometimes not the ABS. In some cases it'll lock the tranny shifter. In any case the solution was either a faulty brake switch, steering sensor, the ABS cntrl unit, and, believe it or not, at one time they had to replace the trip computer - this was the one that involved the tranny lock on my 50 500.

#22 ·
ESP

Dears, I need help pls. I have Mercedes Benz E430 2001. I am facing a problem since I removed the middle mufflers. The problem is once I step hard on the speed accelerator , the RPM will move till it reaches 3 and can't go further and then the ESP light goes on asking me to visit the nearest workshop!!!
but once i restart the engine everything back to normal.
Can anyone tell me what is the problem and does it have anything to do with the Muffler??

#23 ·
Dears, I need help pls. I have Mercedes Benz E430 2001. I am facing a problem since I removed the middle mufflers. The problem is once I step hard on the speed accelerator , the RPM will move till it reaches 3 and can't go further and then the ESP light goes on asking me to visit the nearest workshop!!!
but once i restart the engine everything back to normal.
Can anyone tell me what is the problem and does it have anything to do with the Muffler??
You are in the wrong forum. Try this one.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.