Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

removing front driveshaft from T-case

4K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Amopower 
#1 ·
I got the 6 allen screws off from the flange that bolts to the differential, then i got the four 16mm bolts off the other end that goes into the transfer case, but it doesnt seem to want to budge. Do I need to smack it really hard? I did start smacking it with "medium" force, but nothing.
The orange is not rust, its just the red factory marking. There's actually no rust at all on this, so I don't get it.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·

Attachments

#6 · (Edited)
You can also use the air chisel to remove the engine clutch fan but a longer one will be required. Place the chisel on any edge going counterclockwise and two short bursts and the nut will be free.
Nice i will try that next time, altho I also have the MB tool for fan clutch removal.

Glad you have it marked so that it goes back the way it was originally.
Yes, i assume you saw those orange lines I drew across the entire joint? Yep. And after all that prep work, when I was putting back together the flange onto the H yoke, I couldn't get it to go in a certain way so I flipped it (forgetting about the alignment marks), and then after pressing in that U-joint and clipping the caps, I was like shit, ugh...time to re-do it. At least I realized it while the shaft was still on the ground!

Turns out that the centering ball was toast. All the U joint caps seemed ok, still well greased and no needle bearings bent or missing, but I replaced both U-joints anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.