Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Not an ML ... but progress on repairing my SLK

5K views 42 replies 15 participants last post by  Michael Pillay 
#1 · (Edited)
Not an ML, but for the ML owners amongst you who have been giving me advice and MB repair guidelines (a big thank you!) to assist with the rebuilding of my 2004 SLK project car I thought you might like to see the progress. I am about to place a large parts order and so cannot make further progress until the parts arrive.

There is no mechanical damage (the car is fully driveable - everything still works), the condenser and radiator are undamaged and even both headlights still work. The right fender is perfect and the left fender has only a small dent at the leading edge which will probably pull out with paintless dent removal. Importantly, the chassis rails are undamaged. Main parts required are engine hood, front cross member, radiator support, front bumper (and foam energy absorption units behind) and grille.

I don't know the circumstances of the accident - my best guess is that this car impacted the rear of another car - possibly a small tray truck type so this car took the impact high (above the bumper) but a tow bar punched through the bumper cover to fold the left end of the front cross member around.

I'll be getting the cross member and radiator support installed by a panel shop (requires pre-painting and spot welding) and then painted again along with the new bumper cover and underside of the new hood. I'll then reassemble everything and set the panel gaps and then get the panel shop to paint the top of the hood and blend into the two fenders.

Its a lot of fun!

Its hard to believe the whole front end comes apart with about 30 bolts, as many items clip cleverly to each other to make a sub-assembly before this is then bolted on. The MB remove and repair guidelines have been invaluable as its quite tricky to find the relevant bolts and clips to remove a part.

If the moderators want to move this thread to the R171 forum I understand - its just that nobody seems to want to learn or share over there.

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
Yes the hardtop retracts perfectly. I was worried that it might not as I purchased the car without prior inspection (online interstate auction) so only had 8 photos and no description/assessment to go by.

I was satisfied by what I could see in the photos - the impact damage was not going to effect the hardtop - but I had no idea if the car had other unrelated problems.

I was lucky and the gamble paid off. She's a beauty and its very satisfying to be bringing it back to life when it was otherwise destined to be broken up - which would have been very wasteful.

Reactions: megadamp
#14 ·
Just got another SLK - purchased interstate last Monday, delivered to me Friday. This one is a 2005 SLK350 which has been hail damaged. I think it will need a new hood, trunk lid and roof panel (folding hard-top) and it has between 2 and 7 minor hail dents to each of the fenders and doors which should be fixable with PDR (paintless dent repair).

It's a good car - drives nicely, everything works, very nicely optioned and comes with full documentation showing a perfect dealer service history.

Obsidian Black with red/black leather trim.

I can do a bit of work on this one whilst I await the parts for the SLK200 to arrive - these are about four weeks away maybe.

Attachments

#19 · (Edited)
Just an update.

I'm waiting on the chassis members, hood (bonnet), radiator grille and other bits and pieces to arrive from the USA to repair the front end of the damaged silver SLK200. The front bumper cover has to come from Germany via the USA so will follow a few weeks later.

I'm also waiting on the new heater core for the ML55 to be despatched from the USA, so this car is out of service presently.

Yesterday I managed to purchase locally a good used hood (bonnet) and trunk lid (boot lid) to replace the hail damaged panels on the black SLK350. I fitted these today and also removed the head lining, door panels and front fender linings as I'm hoping to put the car in next week to have the hail damage on the tops of the doors and fenders repaired (by PDR). I'm still trying to ascertain whether the roof panel is economic to repair by PDR or whether I should just replace it.

A few photos below - the black SLK350 (minus two hood grilles) today just before hood and trunk lid replacement (you can see the hail dents), and with the two silver replacement panels installed. In the garage in the background is the ML55 minus heater core, and (obscured) the SLK200 minus its front end.

PS. I have fitted the replacement hood and trunk lid prior to painting for two reasons. Firstly, each panel had one small dent already, which can now be repaired by PDR at the same time as the doors and fenders. Secondly, I would want to test fit the panels before painting them anyway - just to make sure they are a good fit (and yes they are).

Attachments

#20 ·
Last week I had the hail dents from the tops of the doors and fenders of the SLK350 removed using PDR. The tradesman tried very hard to repair the roof panel using PDR and it was almost perfect bar three tiny imperfections, so I decided to remove the roof panel, strip it bare and have it repainted.

I collected the car this morning from the paint shop after having 3 panels painted - the used hood and trunk lid, and the PDR repaired roof panel - painted. I had also purchased a new trunk lid spoiler and had this painted to match.

Today I reinstalled the roof panel and refitted all the trim, chrome, lights, hood lining etc.

Geez, its looking very nice. Very, very shiny !

There's no doubt about it - someone skilled in PDR can achieve incredible results. The hail dented panels are now perfect - without repainting. If you have small dents on your ML I would highly recommend exploring PDR as the repair method.

This 2005 SLK350 is nearly finished and ready for inspection and registration. In about two months time a 2010 model front bumper and door mirrors will arrive from Germany and I will fit these.

The front cross member, radiator support and other front end parts for the repair of the 2004 SLK200 have arrived from the USA so I can now return to repairing that car.

Attachments

#21 ·
Great work!, I have always liked the look of the SLK, sadly it just does not suit my lifestyle at the moment and would be driven rarely :(

#22 ·
Looks awesome. I am doing this with my old ML. Glad to see you are a tradesman.

#23 · (Edited)
So chuffed. How good is this?

I've finished repairing the SLK350 and on Tuesday its booked for inspection before registration.

I may be biased, but I reckon its better than new. No sign of hail damage, no corners cut.

Last photo shows the other "project car", the SLK200 alongside the SLK350, which I will now return to work on.

Attachments

#27 ·
Looks amazing guy. Better paint skills than I have lol.

#28 ·
Gorgeous car! :D, well done!. do you have your own spray booth or do you get it done by another shop?
Will this be the missus's car or does she prefer the ML's?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.